Are you always redirected towards Mail.ru without no any apparent reason? Have you encountered with thousand number of annoying or irritating pop-up ads and links? If so then undoubtedly you are one of the victims of a browser hijacker infection. Looking for an effective removal solution? If so you are at the right place. Go through with this post completely and get the best removal tip.
What is Mail.ru?
Mail.ru has been detected by several malware researchers and security experts as a Russian web search engine which created on September 27, 1997, with TCI source. On the initial inspection, it looks like very genuine and real but it is untrustworthy. It uses several artificial means to increase the web traffic by going through their site. This type of search engine is specially designed and created by cyber hackers along with the sole intention to make money and profit for third-party. You can see how this site looks like by taking a visual look in the below image.
The main feature of this search engine is that they are spread into the user PC by an intrusive way. Technically, it comes along with the bundled of freeware and shareware programs. When you download and install any freeware applications or stuff from the Internet, it automatically gets installed on your PC. Beside this, it can also intrude into your PC via hacked websites, torrent files, online games, infected devices, file sharing network etc. The distribution channel of this hijacker are different but the main source of the infiltration is Internet. Thus, you need to beware while doing any online activities.
Harmful Properties of Mail.ru
- Take over your all web browsers and interrupt you into online operations.
- Slows down System speed by eating up more RAM and CPU resources.
- Keep an eye on your entire crucial data and share them with scammers.
- It can automatically replace your homepage and default settings to redirected you into Mail.ru.
- Bombards you with thousand number of annoying adverts and sponsored links.
Manual Steps to Remove Mail.ru From Your Hijacked Browser
Simple Steps To Remove Infection From Your Browser
For Internet Explorer :
1. Launch Internet explorer and click on the Gear icon then to Manage Add-ons.
2. Now click on Search Provider tab followed by Find more search providers…
3. Now look for your preferred search engine provider for instance Google Search engine.
4. Further you need to click on Add to Internet Explorer option appeared on the page. After then tick out the Make this my default search engine provider appeared on the Add Search Provider window and then click on Add button.
5. Restart Internet explorer to apply the new changes.
For Mozilla :
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox and go for the Settings icon (☰) followed by Options from the drop down menu.
2. Now you have to tap on Search tab there. And, under Default Search Engine you can choose your desirable search engine provider from the drop down menu and remove Mail.ru related search providers.
3. If you want to add another search option into Mozilla Firefox then you can do it by going through Add more search engines… option. It will take you to the Firefox official Add-ons page from where you can choose and install search engine add-ons from their.
4. Once installed you can go back to Search tab and choose your favorite search provider as a default.
For Chrome :
1. Open Chrome and tap on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings.
2. Now under Search option you can choose desirable Search engine providers from drop down menu.
3. If you want to use another search engine option then you can click on Manage search engines… which opens current list of search engines and other as well. To choose you have to take your cursor on it and then select Make default button appears there followed by Done to close the window.
For Google Chrome :
1. Click on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings option from the drop down menu.
2. Now tap Reset settings button.
3. Finally select Reset button again on the dialog box appeared for confirmation.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Settings icon (☰) and then to Open Help Menu option followed by Troubleshooting Information from drop down menu.
2. Now Click on Reset Firefox… on the upper right corner of about:support page and again to Reset Firefox button to confirm the resetting of Mozilla Firefox to delete Mail.ru completely.
Reset Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Internet options.
2. Now tap Advanced tab followed by Reset button. Then tick out the Delete personal settings option on the appeared dialog box and further press Reset button to clean Mail.ru related data completely.
3. Once Reset completed click on Close button and restart Internet explorer to apply the changes.
Reset Safari :
1. Click on Edit followed by Reset Safari… from the drop down menu on Safari.
2. Now ensure that all of the options are ticked out in the appeared dialog box and click on Reset button.
1. Click on Start menu followed by Control Panel. Then click on Uninstall a program below Programs option.
2. Further find and Uninstall Mail.ru and any other unwanted programs from the Control panel.
Remove Unwanted Toolbars and Extensions Related With Mail.ru
For Chrome :
1. Tap on Menu (☰) button, hover on tools and then tap on Extension option.
2. Now click on Trash icon next to the Mail.ru related suspicious extensions to remove it.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Add-ons.
2. Now select the Extensions or Appearance tab in Add-ons Manager window. Then click on Disable button to remove Mail.ru related extensions.
For Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Manage add-ons.
2. Further tap on Toolbars and Extensions panel and then Disable button to remove Mail.ru related extensions.
From Safari :
1. Click on Gear Settings icon followed by Preferences…
2. Now tap on Extensions panel and then click on Uninstall button to remove Mail.ru related extensions.
From Opera :
1. Click on Opera icon then hover to Extensions and click Extensions manager.
2. Now click on X button next to unwanted extensions to remove it.
Chrome : Click on Menu (☰) → Settings → Show advanced Settings → Clear browsing data.
Firefox : Tap on Settings (☰) →History →Clear Reset History → check Cookies → Clear Now.
Internet Explorer : Click on Tools → Internet options → General tab → Check Cookies and Website data → Delete.
Safari : Click on Settings Gear icon →Preferences → Privacy tab → Remove All Website Data…→ Remove Now button.
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Settings.
2. Tap on Show advanced settings.
- Phishing and malware protection : It is enables by default in privacy section. Warns users if detected any suspicious site having phishing or malware threats.
- SSL certificates and settings : Tap on Manage certificates under HTTPS/SSL section to manage SSL certificates and settings.
3. Now tap close button when done.
If you are still having issues in the removal of Mail.ru from your compromised system then you can feel free to talk to our experts.