Brief Note on ScanPOS
ScanPOS is one of the most vicious and dangerous Trojan infection which intercepts the data transmission on the point-of-sale devices. According to the report of researchers, it is aimed at countries that celebrate the Christmas and judging the Thanksgiving by the rate of Spam emails that loaded with this Trojan infection. It has been designed by the cyber hackers with a sole intention to lock down your all legitimate files and folders that stored and saved on the PC. This threat is really very dangerous in nature which can modify and corrupt the complete functions of your browsers without asking for your permission.
The main motive of this infection is to promote the scam or infectious stuff to get illegal revenues for the hijackers and deactivate the functions of anti-virus tool, firewall alerts, and other legitimate applications. When you try to open such a files, then it will generate illegal warning notification which asks you to pay the ransom money to get back your all previous files. What's worse, it captures victims all sensitive data and transfers them to the hackers for the commercial purposes.
Intrusion method of ScanPOS
The infiltration method of ScanPOS is really very interesting because it introduced itself into the Systems by using the Kronos banking Trojan infection. The Kronos is mainly delivered to the potential target via spear phishing and it installed through the macro-enabled document. Sometimes, it acts as the drop of this trojan infection and connects to a remote host, download this payment, unpacks the executable and runs this Trojan on the PC. According to the malware researchers, it uses various techniques to intrudes into the user Computer.
Harmful Things Performed By ScanPOS
Once ScanPOS successfully installed into the user Computer, it will automatically check for the privileges that it has and determines that if it can read and copy data from the memory blocks of the third-party software. It records victims all valuable data and generates the memory dumps indiscriminately. The stored data is mainly analyzed and verified on some intervals via Luhn's formula that created by Hans Peter Luhn and applied to the IMEI numbers, National Provider Identifiers, credit card numbers, social insurance numbers etc. If this Trojan verifies the presence of the sensitive data then it encrypted your data with the base64 algorithm and sent to the hardcoded server address such as hXXp://invoicesharepoint(dot)com/gateway(dot)php. Therefore, it is highly recommended by an expert to eliminate ScanPOS as quickly you can.
How to Remove ScanPOS from Compromised PC (Manual Steps)
(This guide is intended to help users in following Step by Step instructions in making Windows Safe)
The first step which need to be followed is to Restart Windows PC in Safe Mode
Reboot in Safe Mode (For Windows XP | Vista | Win7)
- Restart Computer
- Tap on F8 continuously when the PC starts booting and select the option to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
For Windows 8/8.1
- Press on the Start Button and then Choose Control Panel from the menu option
- Users need to opt for System and Security, to select Administrative Tools and then System Configuration.
3. Next, Click on the Safe Boot option and then choose OK, this will open a pop-up window, next Select Restart Option.
For Windows 10
- Start Menu is to be selected to Open it
- Press the power button icon which is present in the right corner, this will display power options menu.
- Keeping the SHIFT Key pressed on the keyboard, select the restart option. This will reboot Win 10
- Now you need to select the Troubleshoot icon, followed by advanced option in the startup Settings. Click on Restart. This will give the option to reboot, now select Enter Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Uninstall ScanPOS from Task Manager on Windows
How to End the Running Process related to ScanPOS using Task Manager
- Firstly, Open Task Manager by Pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Combination
- Next, Click on processes to Find ScanPOS
- Now Click and select End Process to terminate ScanPOS.
Step3: How to Uninstall ScanPOS from Control Panel on Windows
for Win XP| Vista and Win 7 Users
- Click and Select on Start Menu
- Now Control Panel is to be selected from the list
- Next Click on Uninstall Program
- Users need to Choose suspicious program related to ScanPOS and right clicking on it.
- Finally, Select Uninstall option.
For Win 8
- Click and Select “Charms bar”
- Now Select Settings Option
- Next Click on Control Panel
- Select on Uninstall a Program Option and right click on program associated to ScanPOS and finally uninstall it.
For Windows 10
- The first Step is to Click and Select on Start Menu
- Now Click on All Apps
- Choose ScanPOS and other suspicious program from the complete list
- Now right Click on to select ScanPOS and finally Uninstall it from Windows 10
Step: 4 How to Delete ScanPOS Created Files from Registry
- Open Registry by Typing Regedit in the Windows Search Field and then press on Enter.
- This will open the registry entries. Now users need to press CTRL + F together and type ScanPOS to find the entries.
- Once located, delete all ScanPOS named entries. If you are unable to find it, you need to look up for it on the directories manually. Be careful and delete only ScanPOS entries, else it can damage your Windows Computer severely.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—-Windows—CurrentVersion—Run– Random HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
Still Couldn’t Remove ScanPOS, Watch The Following Video Tutorial
Still having any problem in getting rid of ScanPOS, or have any doubt regarding this, feel free to ask our experts.