BananaCrypt Ransomware is yet another ransomware that makes use of AES encryption to lock files and make them inaccessible. It adds .bananaCrypt file extension to stored files on the system and thereby forcing victims to pay $300 for file decryption. It leaves no stones unturned to blackmail users asking them to pay the ransom by holding files hostage. It drops a ransom note bearing all the instructions regarding ransom payment. Victims are further asked to comply with the instructions.What more, a time frame is set for the users within which they are asked to pay failing which the targeted files such as PDFs, images, documents will get deleted. The message displayed on the ransom note appears to be something like this
However, BananaCrypt Ransomware has been created with motive to create panic among the users so that they can pay ransom to the hackers. For accomplishing this unwanted task it instructs victims that the files have been encrypted using an unique key and finding any decrypter for file decryption would be wastage of time. Users are advised not to opt for ransom payment in any case. Since there is no guarantee that hackers will send decrypters for file decryption. It is highly discouraged not to heed to such demands by the hackers. If you pay the ransom now, there are chances BananaCrypt Ransomware will target your PC and enciphers files once again.
How BananaCrypt Ransomware Attacks PC to target stored files
The most frequent ways used by BananaCrypt Ransomware to enter PC through clicking malverts and dubious downloads of files. Email sent across by unknown senders which might seem legit but are not. Many of the users get deceived and later on repent for opening such mails and downloading malware infected attachments. So it is advised to uninstall BananaCrypt Ransomware by making use of removal guide suggested in the post below.
A: How To Remove BananaCrypt Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill BananaCrypt Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the BananaCrypt Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall BananaCrypt Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all BananaCrypt Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore BananaCrypt Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing BananaCrypt Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing BananaCrypt Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by BananaCrypt Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.