A victim using the name Zekkenyuuki on Bleeping computer reported that he was trying to watch a movie but he couldn't play it. Hence, he downloaded and installed Ultra Xvid Codec Pack.exe complete with the proper setup icon and when he saw its properties details, he saw Windows trusted installer in decryption. Even, he scanned the setup file with ESET NOD32 Smart Security 8 but no virus was found. But when he executed the setup, an error popped out mentioning that setup was corrupted and terminated itself. After this incident his PC got infected and files got encrypted by Cerb3r extension. Many other PC users have been reporting the same infection, so we've created this article for helping you to remove this ransomware and restore your files easily. Kindly read the article to the very end.
Cerb3r extension – Compete Research Research and Removal Report
Looks like developers of Cerber Ransomware are not going to give up, even their first project wasn't commercially successful because of a Free Decryptor was lunched immediately by security researcher. Now they have come back again and quickly updated and released Cerber 2.0 ransomware which is also known as Cerb3r extension ransomware. If you are reading this article and your PC is not infected yet, we recommend you to back up your important files like documents, video, audio, photos on external drives cause we never know when Cerb3r extension will invade your PC. Especially if you are an Internet users/surfer, you should have took precaution immediately.
This ransomware uses an asymmetric encipher standard like AES-256/RSA-2048 to encode your files and make them completely corrupted. Hence, in order to give decryption key anonymous hackers demand around $1300 to be paid withing 48 hours. They also warn you that if you don't make payment to them withing given time, decryption key will be removed from C&C server and files couldn't be restored ever. On this warning, security researchers suggest to use alternative methods for recovering your data but not make payment to those Cyberpunks. Because Cerb3r extension ransomware comes alone but installs a numbers of spyware like iSpy Keylogger, PWSteal and other trojanised software in order to collect your credentials and send all of them to Cyberpunks secretly. It means, you might loss your login details of Bank/Social/Email accounts, debit/credit card numbers, social security numbers, other whatever you type on your PC. Basically, it directly poses a risk to your privacy.
Hence, to keep your System safe, you have to keep a high reputed Antivirus Software installed and regularly updated on your PC and home-based computers as well. Even, be curious, do not download or execute suspicious files/attachments on your PC that might look like a normal docx/zip/pdf file but they can be malicious exploit kit/ payload. Both can cause serious damages to your PC.
If you see .Cerb3r extension appended to saved files or #HELP DECRYPT#.txt file anywhere in your PC, it makes sure that your PC is infected with Cerb3r extension. Therefore, strongly advise you to remove Cerb3r extension/ Cerber 2.0 ransomware from your Windows System immediately and restore your files. Follow the following guide:
A: How To Remove Cerb3r extension From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill Cerb3r extension Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the Cerb3r extension related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall Cerb3r extension From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all Cerb3r extension related items from list.
B: How to Restore Cerb3r extension Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing Cerb3r extension from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing Cerb3r extension from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by Cerb3r extension with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.