Researchers Report on Defender Ransomware
Defender Ransomware is a new term revealed in the February 2018 by malware researchers. According to them, it is yet another notorious, harmful and dangerous file-encrypting ransomware infection created by the group of cyber criminals with the evil intention. Such a ransomware is responsible for making stored files inaccessible or unreadable by appending ".defender" (without quotes) file extension. Once zipping folders and locking all stored files, it changes user's desktop background to the white wallpaper and generate the ransom note which is mainly downloaded from the @zippyshare.
Image of Desktop's Background Replaced by Defender Ransomware
Transmission Preferences of Defender Ransomware
Being a member of ransomware family, Defender Ransomware developers uses lots of deceptive and tricky methods to infect Windows System. The cyber hackers uses several security breaches onto Computers to infect PC with ransomware. Most often hackers preferred the malspam campaigns. Hackers often prepared the list of fraudulent spam emails and send them with the dubious or malicious attachment expecting that someone will automatically fall for trick. If any System users open the malspam messages or dubious attachments then it successfully execute inside the Windows PC. Besides spam campaigns, Defender Ransomware also infected the Windows System via stand-alone file installers, fake software updater, malicious contents on entire web, suspicious ads or hyperlinks and many more.
Working Mechanism of Defender Ransomware
Similar to the other ransomware, Defender Ransomware infiltrates inside PC secretly and conducts series of malevolent activities. Once landing inside the Windows System, it execute "MpCmdRun.exe" executable file and immediately starts the file encryption procedure. It increases the resource fork(ADS) file to hide the data, modifies console/file tracing settings to hide its footprints, read the name of active PC, automatically modify the functionality of auto-execute by creating/setting value in registry, contact the random domain names, delete copies of Shadow Volume etc. Like other variant of ransomware, Defender Ransomware has been also designed to extort money from victims.
Upon the successful file encryption procedure, it locks users stored files and them after demands ransom huge amount of ransom money. Unluckily, there is no any file decryptor key available at the moment. You can recover your crucial files from the backup copies but in case if you want to protect your PC and safe your valuable data for future then you must get rid of Defender Ransomware from your compromised Windows machine.
Safeguard Tips To Protect PC Against Defender Ransomware
- Don't open any message that comes your inbox from unknown sender.
- Avoid to visit any untrusted or hacked domain.
- Opt only Custom/Advanced option instead of Default/Typical one.
- Don't visit any untrusted, gambling or hacked domain.
- Keep your Operating System and installed application always up-to-date.
A: How To Remove Defender Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill Defender Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the Defender Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall Defender Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all Defender Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore Defender Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing Defender Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing Defender Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by Defender Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.