Today when I started the system, I was shocked to see that all the extensions of the files has been changed to .Coverton extension. When I double-click on the file names to open them then warning alert appeared on the screen and said that my files has been encrypted and need to buy the decryption key to view them. Then it redirected me to an unknown site and it was displaying remaining time for the payment. How the extension of my files automatically changed to .Coverton extension? Should I really need to pay the fine?
.Coverton extension is seen when the system gets attacked by the ransomware. It can enter in the system bundled with the free softwares and carries ability to hide its presence for long time. You will detect .Coverton extension in all your files and a message will appear on the screen saying that “All your files on hard drives, removable media, network files were encrypted by a cryptographically strong algorithm AES- 256 with encryption key RSA-2048. It says that you need to buy the decryption key which is available on a hidden server. You will find a time limit on the screen and it will say that once the time gets over, you will not be able to decrypt the files anymore.
In the first look, the alerts displayed by .Coverton extension seems like real but you should know that it is only a scam of the hackers which only aims to earn illegal profits. It can secretly gain your financial details which you type while making the online transactions and use them for illegal purpose. You need to be aware that once the files gets encrypted, it is impossible to decrypt them. This ransomware have capability to encrypt 950 different extensions and changes their extension to coverton. Hence, if you have found .Coverton extension in your files then you need to remove the presence of ransomware immediately instead of making the payment.
How To Remove .Coverton extension Virus Manually
Step 1 : Restart your computer in safe with networking
- Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 key continuously.
- You will find the Advance Boot Option on your computer screen.
- Select Safe Mode With Networking Option by using arrow keys.
- Login your computer with Administrator account.
Step 2 : Step all .Coverton extension related process
- Press the Windows+R buttons together to open Run Box.
- Type “taskmgr” and Click OK or Hit Enter button.
- Now go to the Process tab and find out .Coverton extension related process.
- Click on End Process button to stop that running process.
Step 3 : Restore Your Windows PC To Factory Settings
System Restore Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore.
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results.
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel.
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option.
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Hope these manual steps help you successfully remove the .Coverton extension infection from your computer. If you have performed all the above manual steps and still can’t access your files or cannot remove this nasty ransomware infection from your computer then you should choose a powerful malware removal tool. You can easily remove this harmful virus from your computer by using third party tool. It is the best and the most easy way to get rid of this infection.
If you have any further question regarding this threat or its removal then you can directly ask your question from our experts. A panel of highly experienced and qualified tech support experts are waiting to help you.