What Does Research Report Reveals?
Crypter-2016 Ransomware is apparently a newly released cryptomalware identical to Anatel Ransomware. Unlike other ransomware, it is delivered to Windows system via corrupted Word documents that may have been presented to victims as important message from trustworthy companies such as Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, PayPal etc. Most interesting thing about the ransomware infection is that PC users from Portuguese-speaking countries like Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde and Portugal only report about the infection all over the security forums. Despites, the dropped ransomware inside each encrypted folder in written in Portuguese only. Seems like Crypter-2016 Ransomware is especially created to target PC users of the above mentioned countries. Besides, may be in future the developer will spread the contamination around the globe, hence, we all should be cautious.
During research we came across the reality that Crypter-2016 Ransomware is designed to encrypt data saved on the affected computer instead it renames targeted files by following a unique pattern – 'wwww-hash-part-[9-digit number].crypter. As a result Windows Explorer application fails to recognize and read the content of the file. This unique technique was also used by Anatel ransomware in order to fool victims into accepting that their files have been encrypted. However, there is no doubt that Crypter-2016 is capable of corrupting your files saved on various location like local drives, removable drives and shared network drives as well. Moreover, according to security investigators, if your files are password protected then the ransomware will not be able corrupt your files. Fortunately, as of now, there are several AV software that can detect and delete this ransomware from your system. Other detection names for the ransomware used by various AV vendors are following:
-malicious_confidence_100% (W)Malware.Undefined!8.C-DMMUX4ieETS (cloud)
Ransomware Note Demand and Featuring texts
When the file renaming process is completed then you will be presented with a blue lock screen containing ransom text in black color offering instruction on how to recover your encrypted files. You will be asked to pay 1 BTC (around 731 USD or 2480 BRL), hence, an average salary will not be enough to even pay off the ransom because statistical data from July of 2016 states that only $678 (2298 BRL) is the average pay grade in Brazil.
Ransom note features following texts:
“ATENÇÃO: Seu computador esta bloqueado!
Seus arquivos importantes foram modificados, portanto impossibilita.de de ser usados no momento. Suas fotos, documentos pessoais e trabalhos foram salvos e estão em um HD online podendo ser anatados endidos caso não tenha interesse em recuperarlos.
Caso desconsidere, ou se de alguma forma equivocada impeça o funcionamento deste aplicativo e tente de alguma forma salvar seus arquivos, fotos, musicas, senhas e gravações dentre outros e não consiga, considero o fim da nega.ofação pelo resgate de seus arquivos, suas informações pessoais serão vendidos a quem pagar mais e os arquivos serão permanentemente perdidos. O Desbloqueio só é possível via Bitcoins Os arquivos serão restaurados se for pago seu resgate via Bitcoins. Abaixo segue os links como proceder Passo a passo de corno criar uma carteira:
;orno comprar Bitcoins: [random characters]
Valor do resgate de seu computador apenas em valor unitário de: 1 Bitcoins”
Therefore, if you want to restore your files and get rid of Crypter-2016 Ransomware, we recommend you to follow the following instruction:
Remove Crypter-2016 Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Crypter-2016 Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Crypter-2016 Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Crypter-2016 Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Crypter-2016 Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Crypter-2016 Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Crypter-2016 Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Crypter-2016 Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Crypter-2016 Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.