Judging Citron on Initial Inspection
Trojan Citron was first ever spotted last month on several PCs, primarily being spread through malvertising campaigns, designed by professional cyberpunks with the ambition to collect credentials and empty bank accounts famous organizations, top companies and even normal people globally. For distributing the trojan horse they also publish the useful system utilities or applications that contain source code of Trojan Citron in their setup file. To make it crystal clear, let me ask you something, have you notices why are the useful software/ apps like system optimizer, video downloader, various games, and others availed for free? While software development costs a lots of money. Answer of the above question might bring up the concept hidden behind freeware publishing. During research we found that most of all free application contain some malicious apps that creates a way to generate revenue for the freeware developers.
Since last month Trojan Citron participate in a hundred of malicious attacks, victims have been reporting all over the security blogs. Some of them lost their project files, some lost credentials and some got their private moments recorded leaked as well. As we mention, professional cyberpunks are behind the creation this trojan which make it more stable and stubborn, even, though if you scan your PC with normal Antivirus its doesn't get detected or deleted. Even somehow, if you delete it from one directory, it gets activated from another file directory on the affected computer. This trojan is really destructive in nature, is capable of modifying or deleting files without any permission, even it might send collected data to the cyberpunks via a remote server.
Possible Reasons behind Trojan Citron infiltration
You must not have installed Antivirus software on your system, or may be you may have installed a less reputed Antivirus or may be demo version of Antivirus, so that your PC will not be getting full protection latest PC threats.
Secondly, your Antivirus may be out dated, you may not be updating it on the regular basis.
Your system security firewall may be turned off, or may be blocked by some trojan horse infection like Trojan Citron.
You may have used files stored USB drives without scanning first.
Moreover, you may have connected your system to an open Wi-Fi connection. Because of that cyberpunks may have got access to your PC and installed the trojan horse
Therefore, it is extremely essential to keep an highly effective Antivirus software installed and updated on your PC. However, we suggest to get rid of Trojan Citron as soon as possible if you don't want to keep your privacy at risk. Follow the given instruction below:
Manual Trojan Citron Removal Guide
Step 1: How to Start your PC in Safe Mode with Networking to Get Rid of Trojan Citron
(For Win 7 | XP | Vista Users)
- first of all PC is to be rebooted in Safe Mode with Networking
- Select on Start Button and Click on Shutdown | Restart option and select OK
- when the PC restarts, keep tapping on F8 until you don’t get Advanced Boot Options.
- Safe Mode with Networking Option is to be selected from the list.
(For Win 8 | 8.1 | Win 10 Users)
- Click on Power Button near Windows Login Screen
- Keep Shift Button on the keyboard pressed and select Restart Option
- Now Select on Enable Safe Mode with Networking Option
In case Trojan Citron, is not letting your PC to Start in Safe Mode, then following Step is to followed
Step 2: Remove Trojan Citron Using System Restore Process
- PC need to be rebooted to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- As soon as Command Prompt Window appear on the screen, select on cd restore and press on Enter option
Type rstrui.exe and Click on Enter again.
Now users need to Click on Next option and Choose restore point that was the last time Windows was working fine prior to Trojan Citron infection. Once done, Click on Next button.
Select Yes to Restore your System and get rid of Trojan Citron infection.
However, if the above steps does not work to remove Trojan Citron, follow the below mentioned steps
Step:3 Unhide All Hidden Files and Folders to Delete Trojan Citron
How to View Trojan Citron Hidden Folders on Windows XP
- In order to show the hidden files and folders, you need to follow the given instructions:-
- Close all the Windows or minimize the opened application to go to desktop.
- Open “My Computer” by double-clicking on its icon.
- Click on Tools menu and select Folder options.
- Click on the View tab from the new Window.
- Check the Display contents of the system folders options.
- In the Hidden files and folders section, you need to put a check mark on Show hidden files and folders option.
- Click on Apply and then OK button. Now, close the Window.
- Now, you can see all the Trojan Citron related hidden files and folders on the system.
How to Access Trojan Citron Hidden folders on Windows Vista
- Minimize or close all opened tabs and go to Desktop.
- Go to the lower left of your screen, you will see Windows logo there, click on Start button.
- Go to Control Panel menu and click on it.
- After Control Panel got opened, there will two options, either “Classic View” or “Control Panel Home View”.
- Do the following when you are in “Classic View”.
- Double click on the icon and open Folder Options.
- Choose View tab.
- Again move to step 5.
- Do the following if you are “Control Panel Home View”.
- Hit button on Appearance and Personalization link.
- Chose Show Hidden Files or Folders.
- Under the Hidden File or Folder section, click on the button which is right next to the Show Hidden Files or Folders.
- Click on Apply button and then hit OK. Now, close the window.
- Now, to show you all hidden files or folders created by Trojan Citron, you have successfully considered Windows Vista.
How to Unhide Trojan Citron Created Folders on Windows 7
1. Go to the desktop and tap on the small rectangle which is located in the lower-right part of the system screen.
2. Now, just open the “Start” menu by clicking on the Windows start button which is located in the lower-left side of the PC screen that carries the windows logo.
3. Then after, look for the “Control Panel” menu option in the right-most row and open it.
4. When the Control Panel menu opens, then look for the “Folder Options” link.
5. Tap over the “View tab”.
6. Under the “Advanced Settings” category, double click on the “Hidden Files or Folders” associated with Trojan Citron.
7. Next, just select the check-box in order to Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
8. After this, click on “Apply” >> “OK” and then close the menu.
9. Now, the Windows 7 should be configured to show you all hidden files, folders or drives.
Steps to Unhide Trojan Citron related Files and Folders on Windows 8
- First of all, power on your Windows PC and click on start logo button that is found in left side of the system screen.
- Now, move to program lists and select control panel app.
- When Control panel is open completely, click on more settings option.
- After, you will see a Control panel Window and then you choose “Appearance and Personalization” tab.
- In Advance settings dialogue box, you need to tick mark on Show hidden files and folders and clear the check box for Hide protected system files.
- Click on Apply and Ok button. This apply option helps you to detect and eradicate all types of Trojan Citron related suspicious files.
- Finally, navigate your mouse cursor on close option to exit this panel.
How to View Trojan Citron associated folders on Windows 10
1. Open the folder if you wish to unhide files.
2. Search and Click on View in Menu bar
3. In Menu click on to view folder options.
4. Again click on View and Enable Radio Button associated with Show hidden files created by Trojan Citron, folder and drive.
5. Press apply and OK.
Step 4: Press Start Key along with R- copy + paste the below stated command and Click on OK
- This will open up a new file, in case if your system has been hacked, some IP’s will be shown at the bottom of the screen
Click on the Start Menu, Input “Control Panel” in the search box —> Select. Network and Internet —> Network and Sharing Center —> Next Change Adapter Settings. Right-click your Internet connection —> Select on Properties.
- In case if you find Suspicious IP in the local host –or if you are finding it difficult and have any problem then submit question to us and we will be happy to help you.