Expert Report on Karma Ransomware
Karma Ransomware is a newly discovered ransomware which has been discovered by the most popular security researcher slipstream/RoL. It pretends itself as a Windows optimization program which known as Windows-TuneUp. But its behavior is similar to other ransomware. It also encrypts user files and displays a ransom note with the instructions for making payment. It alters the registry entries and starts itself automatically with every boot of the Windows Operating System. It makes your data inaccessible and unuseful. The sole intention behind the developer of this ransomware is to make money and profit from you. What's worse, it tracks victims all sensitive data and exposed them to the public. To keep data and PC safe for a long time, it is very necessary to get rid of Karma Ransomware as quickly you can.
Intrusion Method of Karma Ransomware
Karma Ransomware can intrude into your Computer secretly by using several ways. The most common tactics that used by this ransomware is bundled with freeware and shareware programs. It uses a tune-up utility as a cover. The site which spread the TuneUp utility is looked like the legitimate software company that spread its product. You can see its appearance in this picture :
It is used to be downloaded from the various way such as social media sites, file sharing network, torrent files, infected devices, Spam-emails, etc.
How Karma Ransomware Encrypts your PC?
After intruding into the user PC, first of all, it checks that the program is executing on a virtual machine or not. If yes then it terminates the executable program and state that it is not compatible with your PC. If this ransomware does not detect a virtual machine, it would connect the user to C&C server to terminate the encryption key which basically used to encrypt the victim's files. It searches all drives of Computer included the connected drives to encrypt the certain files. To encrypt System file formats, it uses highly advanced AES encryption algorithm and adds .karma extension at the end of the filename. After completing the encryption process, it leaves a ransom note on the Desktop screen which entitled as #DECRYPT MY FILES #.txt and #DECRYPT MY FILES #.html and display user. At last, it creates a scheduled task which automatically starts the Windows-TuneUp.exe file after it has been closed. This type of scheduled task is known as pchelper. You can see the ransom note which looks like as follows :
Remove Karma Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Karma Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Karma Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Karma Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Karma Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Karma Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Karma Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Karma Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Karma Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.