What is PayDOS Ransomware?
PayDOS Ransomware is known as an unusual file coder which packed as a batch file. This ransomware has been discovered on the Dark Web by security researchers Jakub Kroustek that executes this batch file within the Windows command prompt. As of the November 216, it is still in the development and does not encrypt any file.
PayDOS Ransomware – Depth Analysis
When PayDOS Ransomware executes, it extracts the batch file into %Temp% folder and runs it from there. It is designed by hackers to scan user's default library for a number of file extensions and rename the data containers which completely fit all criteria and set in competing for the scanning procedure. Actually, it does not encrypt the user stored files.
After renaming the file extension, it displays the ransom screen where it asks users for a password to decrypt the files. If you are one of its victims then you have to enter the hardcoded password of AES1014DW256. This batch file will rename all files back to their original extension so that they can be easily opened again. See how it ask you to enter the passcode :-
Screenshot that show how a folder of PNG file will be renamed to another extension.
If the victims have no any idea about the password then they can simply rename the files and open as normal. This variant of ransomware is the completely in the development phase, so it does not provide any method of contacting to contact with the developer to pay the ransom amount.
PayDOS Ransomware – Intrusion Method
Belonging to the ransomware family, PayDOS Ransomware uses several tricky and deceive method to attack the users' windows PC. Generally, it comes along with the Spam emails or junk mail attachments. When you open any mail attachments that arrived from the unknown senders then it has a chance to intrudes into your PC. along with this, it can enters into your Computer via torrent files, infected devices, online games, bundled within freeware packages, file sharing network etc. Above listed all distribution channels are the most common distribution way but the main source for the proliferation of this batch file is the Internet. Thus you need to be very careful while doing online activities.
PayDOS Ransomware – Prevention Measures
As we all know very well that “Prevention is better than cure”. The System user can easily protect their PC from the attack of PayDOS Ransomware by taking some prevention tips. System user should always use any trusted site to download and install any freeware packages or kinds of stuff from the Internet, they must choose always Custom or Advanced installation option in place of default installation, keep a backup of data, install a trusted anti-spyware tool and update it regularly, avoid to open any mail attachments that arrived from unknown sources etc. By taking these prevention tips you can easily avoid your PC from being attacked by PayDOS Ransomware.
A: How To Remove PayDOS Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill PayDOS Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the PayDOS Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall PayDOS Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all PayDOS Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore PayDOS Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing PayDOS Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing PayDOS Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by PayDOS Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.