SearchWebMe.com is a nasty browser hijacker created by Chrish Phillips in order to gain a huge web traffic to sponsored website and earn millions of dollars easily. This browser hijacker is active since December 04,2005 and it was last updated on April 21, 2016. It is a tangible property of SearchWebMe organization. Source code analysis of SearchWebMe.com revealed that it is very much capable of altering default browser settings like default search engine, homepage/newtab and proxy settings as well. It enables attackers to monitor your browsing exercise and purloin your confidential information. Hence, it is not advisable to ignore this infection. It poses a direct threat to your privacy by uploading collected data on hacker's server.
Distribution Methods of SearchWebMe.com
Compromised Websites – may convince you to download and install malicious software by displaying fabricated security alerts like your PC has virus, install the MPC cleaner to remove the virus etc.
Infected USB Drives – are most used devices that copy malicious source codes from one to another computer easily.
Spam Email Attachment – if you download and execute malicious attachment that is sent by unknown sender, then your PC will get infected instantly.
Peer To Peer File Sharing – where most of all files come bundled up with executable source codes that can compromise you PC without your knowledge.
Open Wi-Fi Networks – if you connect your PC to unprotected network, then it enables hackers to access your computer files and folders, install adware or browser hijacker applications etc
How can you prevent the infection from getting spread more?
You have to block PC's server and networks to prevent the infection of SearchWebMe.com from spreading more.
Disconnect your PC from the network (Internet).
After that stop the PC's server temporarily by following the given steps:
Press Windows button+R at a time to open Run and type "services.msc"
Now you need to click on “OK”
Then you have to right-click on the "Server" option and select “Properties” Tab
Finally, Click on "Stop", select Startup type to "Disabled" and click on “OK”.
However, all victims are advised to remove searchwebme.com from their PC as soon as possible. Follow the removal guide:
Manual Steps to Remove SearchWebMe.com From Your Hijacked Browser
Simple Steps To Remove Infection From Your Browser
For Internet Explorer :
1. Launch Internet explorer and click on the Gear icon then to Manage Add-ons.
2. Now click on Search Provider tab followed by Find more search providers…
3. Now look for your preferred search engine provider for instance Google Search engine.
4. Further you need to click on Add to Internet Explorer option appeared on the page. After then tick out the Make this my default search engine provider appeared on the Add Search Provider window and then click on Add button.
5. Restart Internet explorer to apply the new changes.
For Mozilla :
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox and go for the Settings icon (☰) followed by Options from the drop down menu.
2. Now you have to tap on Search tab there. And, under Default Search Engine you can choose your desirable search engine provider from the drop down menu and remove SearchWebMe.com related search providers.
3. If you want to add another search option into Mozilla Firefox then you can do it by going through Add more search engines… option. It will take you to the Firefox official Add-ons page from where you can choose and install search engine add-ons from their.
4. Once installed you can go back to Search tab and choose your favorite search provider as a default.
For Chrome :
1. Open Chrome and tap on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings.
2. Now under Search option you can choose desirable Search engine providers from drop down menu.
3. If you want to use another search engine option then you can click on Manage search engines… which opens current list of search engines and other as well. To choose you have to take your cursor on it and then select Make default button appears there followed by Done to close the window.
For Google Chrome :
1. Click on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings option from the drop down menu.
2. Now tap Reset settings button.
3. Finally select Reset button again on the dialog box appeared for confirmation.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Settings icon (☰) and then to Open Help Menu option followed by Troubleshooting Information from drop down menu.
2. Now Click on Reset Firefox… on the upper right corner of about:support page and again to Reset Firefox button to confirm the resetting of Mozilla Firefox to delete SearchWebMe.com completely.
Reset Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Internet options.
2. Now tap Advanced tab followed by Reset button. Then tick out the Delete personal settings option on the appeared dialog box and further press Reset button to clean SearchWebMe.com related data completely.
3. Once Reset completed click on Close button and restart Internet explorer to apply the changes.
Reset Safari :
1. Click on Edit followed by Reset Safari… from the drop down menu on Safari.
2. Now ensure that all of the options are ticked out in the appeared dialog box and click on Reset button.
1. Click on Start menu followed by Control Panel. Then click on Uninstall a program below Programs option.
2. Further find and Uninstall SearchWebMe.com and any other unwanted programs from the Control panel.
Remove Unwanted Toolbars and Extensions Related With SearchWebMe.com
For Chrome :
1. Tap on Menu (☰) button, hover on tools and then tap on Extension option.
2. Now click on Trash icon next to the SearchWebMe.com related suspicious extensions to remove it.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Add-ons.
2. Now select the Extensions or Appearance tab in Add-ons Manager window. Then click on Disable button to remove SearchWebMe.com related extensions.
For Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Manage add-ons.
2. Further tap on Toolbars and Extensions panel and then Disable button to remove SearchWebMe.com related extensions.
From Safari :
1. Click on Gear Settings icon followed by Preferences…
2. Now tap on Extensions panel and then click on Uninstall button to remove SearchWebMe.com related extensions.
From Opera :
1. Click on Opera icon then hover to Extensions and click Extensions manager.
2. Now click on X button next to unwanted extensions to remove it.
Chrome : Click on Menu (☰) → Settings → Show advanced Settings → Clear browsing data.
Firefox : Tap on Settings (☰) →History →Clear Reset History → check Cookies → Clear Now.
Internet Explorer : Click on Tools → Internet options → General tab → Check Cookies and Website data → Delete.
Safari : Click on Settings Gear icon →Preferences → Privacy tab → Remove All Website Data…→ Remove Now button.
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Settings.
2. Tap on Show advanced settings.
- Phishing and malware protection : It is enables by default in privacy section. Warns users if detected any suspicious site having phishing or malware threats.
- SSL certificates and settings : Tap on Manage certificates under HTTPS/SSL section to manage SSL certificates and settings.
3. Now tap close button when done.
If you are still having issues in the removal of SearchWebMe.com from your compromised system then you can feel free to talk to our experts.