Survey on Gotowebs.com infection
Gotowebs.com, a browser hijacker was recently created in July since then it has compromised thousands of PC in order to generate revenue via affiliate marketing and information selling. The hijacker is still active, being operated from Panama by a group of crooks. Few weeks back, a huge number of victims reported that Gotowebs.com has been set as their browser’s home page, even it is redirecting their Internet browsers to unsafe and phishing websites. Some of them reported that their PII got leaked without any consent. Though, decided to help the victims by providing them a better safe solution to get rid of the infection. This article contains the browser hijacker removal guide and other necessary information.
This questionable website has a very good user interface, when you visit, you see a customized Yahoo search bar and a bunches of other famous websites’ shortcuts icons which can be also added or removed by the user. It may seem like a legitimate and trustworthy site but do not be mislead by its design and interface. Security experts have reported that this browser hijacker can not be trusted, it doesn’t even belongs to a well known company or person. This is a malicious creation of cyber crooks who want earn money at any cost and don’t give a damn about your browsing experience.
How does it spread?
Gotowebs.com may get installed on your system through free software/games installation without your knowledge. These days cyber crooks are using software ‘bundling’ tactics to spread the browser hijacker infection over the Internet to target PC users globally. As you know the entire world is connected through Internet. Anything unique can go viral withing few minutes. Hence beware, they may use following source to distribute the virus:
Bundled software installer setup,
P2P File sharing network such as Torrents,
Misleading websites, social media sites and Instant messaging services as well.
Characteristics of Gotowebs.com virus
Your browsers search engine page or homepage may be set to Gotowebs.com,
You may be seeing a bunches of sponsored ads and promotional offers being inject on your web pages that you open,
Ads may be displayed as pop ups, banners, light boxes, animated image, hyper-linked words etc,
You PII may be stolen or accounts may be hacked as well.
Hence, solve the problem, we strongly suggest you to follow the given guide immediately and get rid of Gotowebs.com.
Manual Steps to Remove Gotowebs.com From Your Hijacked Browser
Simple Steps To Remove Infection From Your Browser
Check Out the Following Video Guide to Terminate Gotowebs.com from PC
For Internet Explorer :
1. Launch Internet explorer and click on the Gear icon then to Manage Add-ons.
2. Now click on Search Provider tab followed by Find more search providers…
3. Now look for your preferred search engine provider for instance Google Search engine.
4. Further you need to click on Add to Internet Explorer option appeared on the page. After then tick out the Make this my default search engine provider appeared on the Add Search Provider window and then click on Add button.
5. Restart Internet explorer to apply the new changes.
For Mozilla :
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox and go for the Settings icon (☰) followed by Options from the drop down menu.
2. Now you have to tap on Search tab there. And, under Default Search Engine you can choose your desirable search engine provider from the drop down menu and remove Gotowebs.com related search providers.
3. If you want to add another search option into Mozilla Firefox then you can do it by going through Add more search engines… option. It will take you to the Firefox official Add-ons page from where you can choose and install search engine add-ons from their.
4. Once installed you can go back to Search tab and choose your favorite search provider as a default.
For Chrome :
1. Open Chrome and tap on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings.
2. Now under Search option you can choose desirable Search engine providers from drop down menu.
3. If you want to use another search engine option then you can click on Manage search engines… which opens current list of search engines and other as well. To choose you have to take your cursor on it and then select Make default button appears there followed by Done to close the window.
For Google Chrome :
1. Click on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings option from the drop down menu.
2. Now tap Reset settings button.
3. Finally select Reset button again on the dialog box appeared for confirmation.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Settings icon (☰) and then to Open Help Menu option followed by Troubleshooting Information from drop down menu.
2. Now Click on Reset Firefox… on the upper right corner of about:support page and again to Reset Firefox button to confirm the resetting of Mozilla Firefox to delete Gotowebs.com completely.
Reset Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Internet options.
2. Now tap Advanced tab followed by Reset button. Then tick out the Delete personal settings option on the appeared dialog box and further press Reset button to clean Gotowebs.com related data completely.
3. Once Reset completed click on Close button and restart Internet explorer to apply the changes.
Reset Safari :
1. Click on Edit followed by Reset Safari… from the drop down menu on Safari.
2. Now ensure that all of the options are ticked out in the appeared dialog box and click on Reset button.
1. Click on Start menu followed by Control Panel. Then click on Uninstall a program below Programs option.
2. Further find and Uninstall Gotowebs.com and any other unwanted programs from the Control panel.
Remove Unwanted Toolbars and Extensions Related With Gotowebs.com
For Chrome :
1. Tap on Menu (☰) button, hover on tools and then tap on Extension option.
2. Now click on Trash icon next to the Gotowebs.com related suspicious extensions to remove it.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Add-ons.
2. Now select the Extensions or Appearance tab in Add-ons Manager window. Then click on Disable button to remove Gotowebs.com related extensions.
For Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Manage add-ons.
2. Further tap on Toolbars and Extensions panel and then Disable button to remove Gotowebs.com related extensions.
From Safari :
1. Click on Gear Settings icon followed by Preferences…
2. Now tap on Extensions panel and then click on Uninstall button to remove Gotowebs.com related extensions.
From Opera :
1. Click on Opera icon then hover to Extensions and click Extensions manager.
2. Now click on X button next to unwanted extensions to remove it.
Chrome : Click on Menu (☰) → Settings → Show advanced Settings → Clear browsing data.
Firefox : Tap on Settings (☰) →History →Clear Reset History → check Cookies → Clear Now.
Internet Explorer : Click on Tools → Internet options → General tab → Check Cookies and Website data → Delete.
Safari : Click on Settings Gear icon →Preferences → Privacy tab → Remove All Website Data…→ Remove Now button.
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Settings.
2. Tap on Show advanced settings.
- Phishing and malware protection : It is enables by default in privacy section. Warns users if detected any suspicious site having phishing or malware threats.
- SSL certificates and settings : Tap on Manage certificates under HTTPS/SSL section to manage SSL certificates and settings.
3. Now tap close button when done.
If you are still having issues in the removal of Gotowebs.com from your compromised system then you can feel free to talk to our experts.