What should you know about PUP.History Open?
PUP.History Open is a questionable web browser extension which is classified as a potentially unwanted program or an adware. Usually, it spreads through freeware and shareware bundles that aims to trick inexperienced computer users into installing unknown programs unwillingly. Once it is installed, this deceptive browser extension starts tracking user's online activities, alters the Internet browser settings and start displaying tons of advertisements out of nowhere. Such annoying activities of this adware can be parted into below mentioned sections:
- PUP.History Open displays numerous annoying adverts, often in the form of banners, or pop-ups and sometimes in the form of in-text links.
- Slows down the infected system and causes installed applications to crash or lag.
- Modify the Internet browser settings, typically the default homepage, new tab page address and the search tool.
- Gathers anonymous and possibly personal data about the infected PC user.
PUP.History Open is a traditional adware-type system infection which works as a tool to generate the pay-per-click revenue for its creators. Besides, it seeks to promote sponsored content onto the victims' machine in various ways, either through pop-up or banner advertisements or search results. Thus, it would be better to say that the program works like a combination of spyware and a potentially undesired software. Unfortunately, such applications almost never check the displayed content of third party sites that they promote on a daily basis. They seek to advertise various web portals despite their suspicious aims, such as installing browser hijacker threat or even malware onto the victim's computer.
Why PUP.History Open should be removed immediately?
Learn To Remove PUP.History Open Using Manual Methods
Phase 1 : Show Hidden Files To Delete PUP.History Open Related Files And Folders
1. For Windows 8 or 10 Users : From the Ribbon’s View in My PC click on Options icon.
2. For Windows 7 or Vista Users : Open My Computer and tap on Organize button on the upper left corner and then to Folder and Search Options from the drop down menu.
3. Now go to the View tab and enable Show hidden files and folder options and then uncheck the Hide protected system operating files checkbox option below.
4. Finally look for any suspicious files in the hidden folders as given below and delete it.
Phase 2 : Get Rid of PUP.History Open Related Extensions Related From Different Web Browsers
From Chrome :
1. Click on Menu icon, hover through More Tools then tap on Extensions.
2. Now click on Trash icon on the extensions tab there next to suspicious extensions to remove it.
From Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Manage add-ons option from the drop down menu on going through Gear icon.
2. Now if you find any suspicious extension in the Toolbars and Extensions panel then right click on it and Delete option to remove it.
From Mozilla Firefox :
1. Tap on Add-ons on going through Menu icon.
2. In the Extensions tab click on Disable or Remove button next to PUP.History Open related extensions to remove them.
From Opera :
1. Press Opera menu, hover to Extensions and then select Extensions manager there.
2. Now if any browser extension looks suspicious to you then click on (X) button to remove it.
From Safari :
1. Click Preferences… on going through Settings Gear icon.
2. Now on Extensions tab click on Uninstall button to remove it.
From Microsoft Edge :
Note:–As there is no option for Extension Manager in Microsoft Edge so in order to sort out issues related with adware programs in MS Edge you can change its default homepage and search engine.
Change Default Homepage of Ms Edge –
1. Click on More(…) followed by Settings and then to Start page under Open With section.
2. Now select View advanced settings button and then in Search in the address bar with section, you can select Google or any other homepage as your preference.
Change Default Search Engine Settings of Ms Edge –
1. Select More(…) then Settings followed by View advanced settings button.
2. Under Search in the address bar with box click on <Add new>. Now you can choose from the available list of search providers or add you preferred search engine and click Add as default.
Phase 3 : Block Unwanted Pop-ups from PUP.History Open On Different Web Browsers
1. Google Chrome : Click Menu icon → Settings → Show advanced settings… → Content Settings… under Privacy section → enable Do not allow any site to show pop-ups (recommended) option → Done.
2. Mozilla Firefox : Tap on Menu icon → Options → Content panel → check Block pop-up windows in Pop-ups section.
3. Internet Explorer : Click Gear Settings icon → Internet Options → in Privacy tab enable Turn on Pop-up Blocker under Pop-up Blocker Section.
4. Microsoft Edge : Press More(…) option → Settings → View advanced settings → toggle on Block pop-ups.
Still having troubles in removing PUP.History Open from your compromised PC ? Then you don’t need to worry. You can feel free to ask questions to us about malware related issues.