Search.newtab-mediasearch.com – Initial Analysis
Cyberpunks from Arizona (US) have unleashed a new deceptive search engine named Search.newtab-mediasearch.com. This domain was created on January 24 in order to target inexperienced PC users to make easy money. They spread it all over the Internet including social media networks and peer to peer file sharing platform as well. Researchers say that behavior analysis of this malicious browser extension reveals that it has all attributes of a browser hijacker. Since it may fall on your PC with freeware installation, hence, it can hide into your Windows Operating system for a very long time. It may bypass security scan by communicating like a legitimate program as well. Detection of this hijacker becomes rare, cause technically it is not classified as a virus.
If an extension named 'Media-Newtab' powered by Imali Media has been installed on your browser, it make very clear that your system is infected by Search.newtab-mediasearch.com browser hijacker. Remembers, freeware software are the most used resource to spread it among PC users. Whenever, you open your web browsers, you see your homepage and default search provider are changed and set to above mentioned fake search provider. If you try to search something, your queries get redirected to a customized Yahoo SERP without your permission. Where you see sponsored websites link on the very top and less relevant results on the bottom of the page.
Furthermore, It shows attractive offers which may dodge you into visiting online shopping websites, adult dating websites, online software stores, Phishing websites etc. Hence, when you visit sponsored links, you get offers to fill up forms, participate in lottery context, download/install fake updates and applications. If you participate in these activities, then you may loss your credentials to the Hackers or advertiser. Your credential might be used for marketing or hacking purposes.
Therefore, we recommend you to uninstall Search.newtab-mediasearch.com (Media-Newtab) from your infected system immediately. Follow the instruction:
Manual Steps to Remove Search.newtab-mediasearch.com From Your Hijacked Browser
Simple Steps To Remove Infection From Your Browser
For Internet Explorer :
1. Launch Internet explorer and click on the Gear icon then to Manage Add-ons.
2. Now click on Search Provider tab followed by Find more search providers…
3. Now look for your preferred search engine provider for instance Google Search engine.
4. Further you need to click on Add to Internet Explorer option appeared on the page. After then tick out the Make this my default search engine provider appeared on the Add Search Provider window and then click on Add button.
5. Restart Internet explorer to apply the new changes.
For Mozilla :
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox and go for the Settings icon (☰) followed by Options from the drop down menu.
2. Now you have to tap on Search tab there. And, under Default Search Engine you can choose your desirable search engine provider from the drop down menu and remove Search.newtab-mediasearch.com related search providers.
3. If you want to add another search option into Mozilla Firefox then you can do it by going through Add more search engines… option. It will take you to the Firefox official Add-ons page from where you can choose and install search engine add-ons from their.
4. Once installed you can go back to Search tab and choose your favorite search provider as a default.
For Chrome :
1. Open Chrome and tap on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings.
2. Now under Search option you can choose desirable Search engine providers from drop down menu.
3. If you want to use another search engine option then you can click on Manage search engines… which opens current list of search engines and other as well. To choose you have to take your cursor on it and then select Make default button appears there followed by Done to close the window.
For Google Chrome :
1. Click on Menu icon (☰) followed by Settings option from the drop down menu.
2. Now tap Reset settings button.
3. Finally select Reset button again on the dialog box appeared for confirmation.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Settings icon (☰) and then to Open Help Menu option followed by Troubleshooting Information from drop down menu.
2. Now Click on Reset Firefox… on the upper right corner of about:support page and again to Reset Firefox button to confirm the resetting of Mozilla Firefox to delete Search.newtab-mediasearch.com completely.
Reset Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Internet options.
2. Now tap Advanced tab followed by Reset button. Then tick out the Delete personal settings option on the appeared dialog box and further press Reset button to clean Search.newtab-mediasearch.com related data completely.
3. Once Reset completed click on Close button and restart Internet explorer to apply the changes.
Reset Safari :
1. Click on Edit followed by Reset Safari… from the drop down menu on Safari.
2. Now ensure that all of the options are ticked out in the appeared dialog box and click on Reset button.
1. Click on Start menu followed by Control Panel. Then click on Uninstall a program below Programs option.
2. Further find and Uninstall Search.newtab-mediasearch.com and any other unwanted programs from the Control panel.
Remove Unwanted Toolbars and Extensions Related With Search.newtab-mediasearch.com
For Chrome :
1. Tap on Menu (☰) button, hover on tools and then tap on Extension option.
2. Now click on Trash icon next to the Search.newtab-mediasearch.com related suspicious extensions to remove it.
For Mozilla Firefox :
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Add-ons.
2. Now select the Extensions or Appearance tab in Add-ons Manager window. Then click on Disable button to remove Search.newtab-mediasearch.com related extensions.
For Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Settings Gear icon and then to Manage add-ons.
2. Further tap on Toolbars and Extensions panel and then Disable button to remove Search.newtab-mediasearch.com related extensions.
From Safari :
1. Click on Gear Settings icon followed by Preferences…
2. Now tap on Extensions panel and then click on Uninstall button to remove Search.newtab-mediasearch.com related extensions.
From Opera :
1. Click on Opera icon then hover to Extensions and click Extensions manager.
2. Now click on X button next to unwanted extensions to remove it.
Chrome : Click on Menu (☰) → Settings → Show advanced Settings → Clear browsing data.
Firefox : Tap on Settings (☰) →History →Clear Reset History → check Cookies → Clear Now.
Internet Explorer : Click on Tools → Internet options → General tab → Check Cookies and Website data → Delete.
Safari : Click on Settings Gear icon →Preferences → Privacy tab → Remove All Website Data…→ Remove Now button.
1. Click on Menu (☰) button followed by Settings.
2. Tap on Show advanced settings.
- Phishing and malware protection : It is enables by default in privacy section. Warns users if detected any suspicious site having phishing or malware threats.
- SSL certificates and settings : Tap on Manage certificates under HTTPS/SSL section to manage SSL certificates and settings.
3. Now tap close button when done.
If you are still having issues in the removal of Search.newtab-mediasearch.com from your compromised system then you can feel free to talk to our experts.