According to the security researchers Kovter Ransomware belongs to winlocker family of ransomware which do not allow victims to access the infected computer. Although, very first this ransomware had released in 2013 but with time it has been upgraded by its authors (in actual cyber criminals). Now it is using a very advance technique that allow it to perform all its malicious task without creating any file on victims computer. It directly create registry entries and use Windows PowerShell to execute commands on the compromised computer. Kovter Ransomware mostly target those online computers upon which users frequently browse porn websites, after a successful infiltration the ransomware completely block access of the computer and each time when the user boot the system then he/she found a lock screen. The screen seems like a legal notice by local law enforcement agency which claims that the user has violated cyber rules, copy right and culprit of promoting illegal child pornographic contents over Internet.
The Kovter Ransomware virus has some different properties from other malware and Cryptolocker that only encryp user's personal files. Kovter Ransomware do not need to create files on your computer and it can handle all of their malicious operations, hiding itself in your computer's registry. By hiding its code in the registry of the Windows operating system, the ransomware may take more longer and lead to vulnerability to enter other serious infections. Basically it is a kind of ransomware that locks your computer and personal files are not encrypted. Ransomware pretends like law enforcement and scare users for judicial and police action against them if the user does not pay a certain amount (~$300) within specified time.
Remove Kovter Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Kovter Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Kovter Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Kovter Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Kovter Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Kovter Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Kovter Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Kovter Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Kovter Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.