Truth About .LOL! Ransomware
.LOL! Ransomware has been publicized as an updated version of PGPCoder ransomware that makes utilization of the combination of a very strong encryption ciphers namely RSA and AES. Both these algorithms are generally used by the government for the purpose of hiding top secret files. This ransomware threat just like various other harmful threat obtains secret infiltration inside the PC and then upon that encrypts the files stored in the system via appending “.LOL!” extension to their name. Now following the successful encryption, generates a text file along with a “funny” clown-like ransom-demanding message.
The ransom-demanding message generated by .LOL! Ransomware is divided in two sections namely “Joke” and “Seriously”. Between the two, the first one simply mocks the victim’s poor knowledge and invigorate victim to learn cyber-security lessons, while the second one facilitates the users with actual information regarding the encryption. It very clearly states that the user’s files have been encrypted by utilizing asymmetric cryptography and can only get restored via unique decryption tool. This infection meanwhile the encryption, generate two keys i.e., public [encryption] and private [decryption]. Between these, the private key is stored at remote servers by cyber crooks. So, regarding the decryption of the encrypted files, users need to purchase the decryption tool embedded with the generated private key. Generally in this situation majority of the users considers purchasing tool the best option for accessing the files back but it is advised to not to do so since it is just a trick planned by cyber crooks for generating illicit profit from them.
How .LOL! Ransomware Installs in PC ?
- Accessing spam emails and opening it’s infectious attachments.
- Using contaminated peripheral device for the purpose of transferring files from one PC to another.
- Downloading freeware applications and installing them in the PC with careless attitude.
- Unauthenticated file sharing
How .LOL! Ransomware Endangers The PC ?
- It modifies the preset system’s settings and stops the users from opening several legitimate applications.
- It steals the user’s private stuff and then transfer it to the online hackers for marketing purpose.
- .LOL! Ransomware defuse the installed antimalware programs and penetrates various additional spyware infections in the PC.
- Additional installed malicious infections via running in the system’s background consumes large amount of system space that ultimately degrades the PC’s speed badly.
Therefore, to protect the system’s files from being encrypted like that and to operate PC smoothly, an urgent uninstallation of .LOL! Ransomware is required.
Looking for .LOL! Ransomware removal guide, watch this video
Remove .LOL! Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove .LOL! Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove .LOL! Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To .LOL! Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find .LOL! Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove .LOL! Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove .LOL! Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the .LOL! Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the .LOL! Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.