I think there is something wrong with my Windows PC. Actually, whenever I start my computer, I found it locked with Onion Ransomware and see number of error messages on the screen. How this happened, I really don't know and only thing is that I want to get rid of it immediately. I am unable to perform any system activity and completely annoyed. Guys, please do help me in resolving this trouble quickly.
Onion Ransomware is a harmful ransomware threat that is the improved version of CTB-Locker ransomware (or also known as Criton). It is usually dispersed among the users as an attached ZIP files that you will find enclosed with spam emails. Actually, such ZIP files along with junk mails contains another ZIP archive that acts as a dropper for Onion Ransomware. As soon as this infection enters into your computer, it encrypts XLS, DOCT, TXT, PDF, JPEG and JS files types with a suspicious code which is an impossible task for you to guess that code. The ransomware infection injects its executables within the Temp folder and adds malicious task in the Windows Task Scheduler. It malicious functions runs into the background of the PC when it starts. Onion Ransomware also encrypts other files also according to their model. However, sole intension of cyber criminals behind this infection is to earn money and continues running their cyber scam.
Yes, in order to get the decryption key to lock your system files, you will have to pay a large amount which directly benefits PC hackers. Onion Ransomware uses RSA-21024 as its encryption algorithm to lock files. Victim users further instructed to pay 3 Bitcoins according to a specific waller address. Furthermore, this very infection severe brings severe danger into the compromised machine and may steal your privacy as well as confidential informations. You must ignore paying any money as it is fake and instead of solving your issues, it would lead them to high corruption. Here, we suggest people to download Automatic Removal Tool which is capable enough to deal with Onion Ransomware like malware threat and remove them completely from the computer system.
Remove Onion Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Onion Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Onion Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Onion Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Onion Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Onion Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Onion Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Onion Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Onion Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.