What do you know about MasterBuster Ransomware?
MasterBuster Ransomware is one of many nasty file encryption virus which is custom build of HiddenTear project that was presented to the computer users as an 'educational ransomware'. This threat is designed to work on Windows operating system and encode the files and data by using AES cipher. The developers of the ransomware virus uses spam emails in order to deliver the macro-enabled documents to the potential victims. Although, the documents feature a macro which instructs the Windows to connect with a remote host, download or upload a file and data and execute it malicious processes in the background.
MasterBuster Ransomware virus is programmed to suppress the notification which may alert the users of suspicious activity on the system. The malware can obstruct the debugging and can run on a Guest account. It is especially designed to bypass almost all cyber defenses and may use a bogus digital certificate to fool the Windows operating system into allowing an arbitrary code execution. As stated above, the ransomware can run with the limited privileges and it may run within Temp directory where the files used by your web browser are stored. The malware researchers note that the MasterBuster Ransomware threat can lock the system's data on local drives and it may not corrupt the files stored on the shared network.
Encryption Algorithm of MasterBuster Ransomware
The MasterBuster Ransomware infection is programmed to modify header of data containers and it make changes to the files extensions. It is similar to '.kyra File Extension' Ransomware virus and marks the encrypted objects with '.hcked' extension. Affected system users would notice that the text documents and images feature '.hcked' extension, after the encryption process is completed. It is likely to encode the standard data containers that most PC users use to store the family photos, private videos and audio, as well as the work-related presentations, text and spreadsheets. The encrypted system files can be recognized easily by looking for '.hckd' extension. Security analysts note that the ransomware is sent to the users in India predominantly, because it was the case with Mahasaraswati Ransomware.
After that, MasterBuster Ransomware will display a ransom notification and the ransom note will be written in English and the ransom message is adapted to the Bengali users. The ransom note is presented as a 'READ_THIS_FILE_IMPORTANT.txt' on the computer's desktop and days:
A rough translation of ransom message in English is:
The makers of MasterBuster Ransomware virus decided to make paying ransom money as easy as possible and also created a form by using the Google Form. The form is written in the Bengali language and features following content:
Moreover, the form provided by MasterBuster Ransomware includes the fields where the victim supposed to enter how much gigabytes of the files and data encrypted, what types of info is locked and then leaves a comment. The whole process resembles paying a fine in the local police department. While Rs.3500 which is equal to $52 that may not seem much to the most Westerners, but the average salary for the India in 2016 is $125. Put into the perspective that the ransom amount for this malware equals one-third of an average pay for a month. However, you should use backup copies to restore your data. Also, don't forget to use a powerful anti-malware scanner in order to remove MasterBuster Ransomware securely from an infected computer.
A: How To Remove MasterBuster Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill MasterBuster Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the MasterBuster Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall MasterBuster Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all MasterBuster Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore MasterBuster Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing MasterBuster Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing MasterBuster Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by MasterBuster Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.