Sigma Ransomware : Another Ransomware Attack
These days, a new ransomware attack in the progress worldwide named Sigma Ransomware. First of all, it's sample has been discovered by the malware creators on November 09th, 2017 which is designed in such a way that it can infect almost all version of Windows OS including Windows Vista, NT, XP, Me, 7, 8/8.1 and the latest version Windows 10. Some of the malware researchers are classified it as a mid-tier System threat that uses the modified version of documented cipher that can be easily downloaded from Web without any cost. This variant of ransomware does not offer any interesting thing compared to the other ransomware.
Transmission Methods That Used By Sigma Ransomware
The payloads of this ransomware usually sent through spam messages that contains the social engineering tactics. The strategy of it's creator relies on the phishing scheme. The body contents of the spam messages contains a notification which tries to convince users that messages comes from the financial institutions. When you open such a spam message then it secretly drop its payload on your screen and start to conduct it's malevolent activities. Besides, spam campaigns, it can also penetrates into your Windows Computer through bundling method, infected devices, file sharing sources, torrent attackers and much more. The creators of this ransomware always changes it's way to attack PC but it mainly originated via Internet. Thus, need of attention is required necessary while doing online operation.
File Encryption Procedure of Sigma Ransomware
Upon the successful installation, it encrypts almost all stored files and formats such as audios, videos, images, PDFs, databases and much more. It usually encrypts files by adding the sequence of four random characters to the original file names. After that, it's creators dropped an html file name "ReadMe.html" to the desktop screen that directs victim to install TOR web browser. The ransom message also instructs System users to load ".ONION" domain which is known as the payment portal. Before getting too much info about the html file, takes a closer look on the text message of scary ransom note :
Depth Analysis Report of HTML File Displayed By Sigma Ransomware
From the aforementioned ransom message, it is clear that hackers suggest user to send an email to the provided email address, '[email protected]' to recover the data. However, it is not a right decision because there are no any assurances provided by it's developer that you will get the free decryption key even paying the ransom fee. Moreover, backup files are excellent solution to recover your encrypted files rather than making a deal with it's creators. But to keep your valuable data and System safe for long time or future, you must follow the provided removal instructions to delete Sigma Ransomware from your infected Windows machine.
Remove Sigma Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Sigma Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Sigma Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Sigma Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Sigma Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Sigma Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Sigma Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Sigma Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Sigma Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.