My Windows PC has been attacked by GhostCrypt Ransomware. It has encrypted my stored documents and added .Z81928819 extension in all the file names. I have detected a note on the desktop which asked me to send 2 Bitcoins in order to make the files accessible. I am unable to perform any activity on the system and all the programs are not responding properly. Is there any way to remove GhostCrypt Ransomware easily? Does paying the amount will decrypt my important files? Please help me.
GhostCrypt Ransomware is a notorious ransomware which is a variant of Cryptolocker. It can penetrate in the system when you open attachments of the spam emails. After entering in the PC, it will make use of AES-256 encryption algorithms to encrypt your important documents, files, folders, shortcuts, web pages etc. GhostCrypt Ransomware is capable to encrypt almost 43 file types and makes them completely inaccessible. You will also detect READ_THIS_FILE.txt on the desktop with a message. It will state that You need to send 2 Bitcoins via Smartphone app to a wallet address and asks the users to install Bitcoin wallet app. You need to know that it is only a scam of the cyber hackers to fool the gullible users and makes illegal profits by scaring them. Actually, Bitcoin transactions are untraceable thats why hackers uses such process to make money. Therefore, if you detect the presence of GhostCrypt Ransomware in your PC then try to remove it immediately.
Once the file gets encrypted by GhostCrypt Ransomware, you will detect .Z81928819 extension in all the file names. Money is nothing when it comes to save important document but even making payment will not help you. In reality, ransomware can create a copy of the files to encrypt them and delete the actual files. If you do not have any back up copy of the file then you will not be able to decrypt them even with the decryption key. The worst part is that hackers can collect your financial details which you type while making online payments. So, you need to remove GhostCrypt Ransomware in the early phase after detection instead of sending money to the cyber crooks.
Remove GhostCrypt Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove GhostCrypt Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove GhostCrypt Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To GhostCrypt Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find GhostCrypt Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove GhostCrypt Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove GhostCrypt Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the GhostCrypt Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the GhostCrypt Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.