Research report on M0on Ransomware
Security analyst recently discovered a new file encoder ransomware which is based on a cute ransom virus (MyLittleRansomware) named M0on Ransomware. This ransom virus has been created by a group of cyber criminals in order to jump out from the wall of antivirus and carry on their evil works like extorting money from the users in order to provide the decryption key or code to unlock their encoded files. This M0on Ransomware has followed the same path to intrude into the users systems like ShellLocker ransomware and SNSLocker ransomware. It generally delivered to your system via spam emails with infected macro enabled attachments. This ransomware has been named after "moon.exe" which works as the encryption engine for this M0on Ransomware.
M0on Ransomware is executed as soon as it installed
This M0on Ransomware started its malicious operations as its components are installed on your compromised PC. It just opposite to Anubis ransomware mode of work. Security experts disclose that M0on Ransomware is developed to encrypt the users file with use the encryption algorithm of AES-256 cipher and encrypts more than one hundred and ninety file formats of your system. It appends ".moon" extension with encoded files. After encryption this ransom virus changes the default file formats and original file names of your system. It targets the following data formats which has given below:
Some of the antivirus detects this ransom threat as :
The attackers might not provide the M0on Ransomware decryptor
After successful encryption of your files M0on Ransomware locked all your files and then send or display a ransom note on your desktop screen. The hackers demand the ransom in order to provide the decryption key to unlock your files but all these things are just a trick to extort money from you. They do not give any guarantee that they will give you the unlock code after the ransom payment so it is better to do not pay the ransom and try to remove M0on Ransomware from your system if you have a credible anti-malware and then after removal run a backup and easily restore all your files. You can save yourself from the attack of ransomware by keeping few things in mind like never open spam emails and do not download their infected attachments, do not download suspicious programs on your system.
Remove M0on Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove M0on Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove M0on Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To M0on Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find M0on Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove M0on Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove M0on Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the M0on Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the M0on Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.