This page is written to help the victims of QuasarRAT that searching a quick removal steps to eliminate this malware from their compromised computers. So follow the steps which is given at the end of the post.
QuasarRAT can make your PC out of order
QuasarRAT is identified as a Trojan which is deliberately modified version of the infamous open source project using the same name "QuasarRAT" programmed by a malware developer "quasar" who has a page on Github.com/quasar/QuasarRAT. This software is promoted among the PC users as a RAT (Remote Administration Tool) for admin servers and cyber security managers of private and government sector. The clean and corrupt version of this program can be differentiate on the base of how it is packed, the manner of network communication, and the presence of obfuscation layer. This virus attacks has been noticed early 2017 in the government sectors of United States of America and the virus samples of the malware surfaced in October 2017 with new attacks being recorded. It is not clear what the vectors behind the QuasarRAT threat attacks.
How did QuasarRAT manages to attack on your system?
QuasarRAT is a malware which employs various infection spreading tricks to get inside of your PC without your consent. Several ways are discussed below
- The Trojan Droppers is received by the victims as an attachment that is send on the system by using a spam email. Most of the attachments associated with QuasarRAT that may appears like "Scanned Documents, presentation files, audio recording and several other names saved as a name under office documents. This kind of attachments contain malicious executables of the malware which automatically start executing after download on the system.
- According to a research is observed to extract a copy of the Downecks malware which seen in past. This Trojan Dropper connects with a nasty URL and download the main malicious part of the QuasarRAT.
- After installation on your system QuasarRAT analyses all of your system data that saved on your PC and connected network data storage. Additionally the attackers uses several third party software installers to get into your system.
It is not a full range of operations that the remote user can perform. It can download more malware, edit registry, open remote desktop connections, store passwords and more malicious activities. So you should use a reputed anti-malware on the infected system to remove QuasarRAT completely.
Steps to Remove QuasarRAT
Step 1>> How to Boot Windows in Safe Mode to isolate QuasarRAT
Step 2>> How to View Hidden Files created by QuasarRAT
for Windows XP
- Exit all Program and Go to Desktop
- Select My Computer icon and Double Click to Open it
- Click on the Tools Menu and now select and Click on Folder Options.
- Select on View Tab that appears in New Window.
- Check mark on the box next to Dispaly the Contents of System Folders
- Now Check the box in order to Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Now press on Apply and OK to close the Window.
- As soon as these steps are performed, you can view the files and folders that were created by QuasarRAT and hidden till now.
for Windows Vista
- Minimize all Window and Go to Desktop
- Click on the Start Button which can be found in lower lef Corner having Windows Logo
- Click on the Control Panel on the Menu and Open it
- Control Panel can be opened in Classic View or Control Panel Home View.
- If you have Selected Classic View, follow this
- Double Click on the Folder icon to open it
- Now select the view tab
- Click on Option to Show Hidden Files or Folders
- If you have Selected Control Panel Home View, follow this
- Appearance and Personalization link is to be Clicked
- Select on Show Hidden Files or Folders
- Press Apply Option and then Click on OK.
This will Show all the Folders including those created by QuasarRAT
Know how to view Hidden Folders on Windows 7, Win 8 and Windows 10
(Following the above steps are necessary to view all the files created by QuasarRAT and that is known to exist on Compromised PC.)
- Open the Run Box by holding together the Start Key and R.
- Now Type and input appwiz.cpl and press on OK
- This will take you to the Control Panel, Now Search for Suspicious programs or any entries related to QuasarRAT. Unistall it once if you happen to find it. However be sure not to Uninstall any other program from the list.
- In the Search Field, Type msconfig and press on Enter, this will pop-up a Window
In the Startup Menu, Uncheck all the QuasarRAT related entries or which are Unknown as Manufacturer.
Step 3>> Open the Run Box by Pressing Start Key and R in Combination
- Copy + Paste the following Command as
- notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts and press on OK
- This will Open a new file. If your system has been hacked by QuasarRAT, certain IP’s will be displayed which can be found in the bottom of the screen.
Look for the suspicious IP that is present in your Localhost
Step 4>> How to Terminate QuasarRAT Running Processes
- Go the Processes Tab by pressing on CTRL+SHIFT+ESC Keys Together.
- Look for the QuasarRAT Running Processes.
- Right Click on QuasarRAT and End the Process.
Step 5>> How to Remove QuasarRAT Related Registry Entries
- Open Registry by Typing Regedit in the Run box and Hit Enter Key
- This will open all the list of entries.
- Now Find and search the entries created by QuasarRAT and cautiously delete it.
- Alternatively, you can manually search for it in the list to delete QuasarRAT Manually.
Unfortunately, if you are unable to remove QuasarRAT, Scan your PC Now
Also submit question and let us know in case you are having some doubt. Our Experts will definitely respond with some positive suggestions for the same. Thanks!