A brief report on Telecrypt Ransomware
Researchers came across a new variant of ransomware named Telecrypt Ransomware, it uses Telegram as their C&C(command and control servers). As it relies on the Telegram, so this ransomware variant needed an Internet connection to do its harmful deeds on your system. Hackers coded this ransomware in Delphi and its binary file size is 3MB. Telecrypt launch their wrong deeds after the user launches its binary code on their system. Telecrypt Ransomware encrypts various files of your system like documents, spreadsheets, presentations, video, audio and picture files. It is found in the research that their are so many variants of this ransomware infection. Once it enter on your system then it first start to encrypt your files and then as the encryption has been completed successfully then append a file extension ".Xcri" with the each encrypted file. After successful encryption it create an executable file named "Xhelp.exe". Which leave a ransom note on the users desktop screen.
Telecrypt Ransomware encode data very fast due to its limited search criteria
Firstly it connect with the API server using a unique system called token and relate data with a bot account on Telegram. If the bot account of the system is still working then Telecrypt Ransomware start to scan the local memory drives of the system for several type of data files of your system. This ransomware mostly target the users data like documents, spreadsheets, presentations, video, audio and picture files etc. When you launch Telecrypt binary, then this ransomware's first action is to ping the Telegram API at "https://api.telegram.org/bot/GetMe" using a hardcoded Telegram bot token they received. It encrypts the users file with a unique key and Strong AES encryption algorithm and create an index in following file location :
"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ÐÐ°Ð·Ð° Ð·Ð°ÑÐ¸ÑÑ ÑÐ°Ð¹Ð»Ð¾Ð².txt"
As you read above the ransom note that send by this ransomware is downloaded as "Xhelp.exe" which is stored in the Temp folder, where temporary Internet files are saved by the window. The ransom note is display as three slides :
The attackers of Telecrypt Ransomware uses ".Xcri" file extension
As Telecrypt Ransomware encrypt the user data and featured with ".Xcri" file extension appended with every file type. It uses an AES-256 cipher to complete encryption process and the private key is sent to the command and control servers, which makes decryption impossible with it. The attackers demand the ransom of 5000 Rubles is near around 78 USD and may not look like too much for many users. However, After the payment of ransom a decryptor key is not be sent to you and you may be sent a Backdoor Trojan like Dorkbot instead of them. Experts advised against to pay the ransom and suggests to use the backups and archive to restore your files. The first step to recovering from an attack with the Telecrypt Ransomware is to use a reliable anti-malware scanner to scan and then delete Telecrypt Ransomware from your device.
A: How To Remove Telecrypt Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill Telecrypt Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the Telecrypt Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall Telecrypt Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all Telecrypt Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore Telecrypt Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing Telecrypt Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing Telecrypt Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by Telecrypt Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.