Alcatraz Ransomware – Depth Analysis
Alcatraz Ransomware a.k.a has been identified as a disastrous infection for the PC that is deployed to PC users via spam bots. The main primary objective of the developers of this threat is to deliver their crafted infections to users via taking advantage of macro scripts ie., nowadays being favored by numerous malware developers attempting to surpass the AV shields, heuristic and runtime detection. This perilous ransomware program generally perforates in the PC along with the text documents, spreadsheets, presentations and PDFs embedded with a macro.
Alcatraz Ransomware has been reported compatible with all the latest version of Windows OS including Windows XP / Vista / 7/ 8/ 10. Just similar to those several other shady ransomware threats, it has also been designed for the main sole objective of generating more and more illicit profit from innocent PC users. It once activated, first of all scans the PC deeply to target the files it can damage. Later on following this, encrypts or encode them via utilizing the AES-256 cipher. Researches shows that this threat do include potential of compromising files on removable SDD and HDD that is connected to the computer system at the time of the infection. Additionally it has also been proven that it may even result in the lose of backups meanwhile the encryption process. This menacing threat has been accused to executes itself in the compromised system's background and conceal notifications by Windows that are actually made to alert the PC users of suspicious file operations. Moreover this infection has been designed for prohibiting debugging as well as runtime analysis by anti-malware shields and infection scanners.
Technical Information About Alcatraz Ransomware
As discussed above Alcatraz Ransomware on obtaining successful infiltration in the PC, encrypts the valuable data. Now following this appends “.alcatraz” extension to the encrypted files. Furthermore, generates a files namely “ransomed.html” on the compromised PC. The ransom note file has been designed compatible with all the most used web browsers i.e., can get opened in any of the browser along with the below mentioned message :
In the message the users are informed about the occurred encryption and are advised to make payment of the sum of 365USD (0.5BTC). Now as the amount do not appears much, as a result majority of the users becomes easily ready for making the payment as they consider their files more important than that of asked money. But it is strongly suggested never to do that the malware analysts have very clearly proven that the manager of the Alcatraz Ransomware are not likely to provide the victims with the required decryptor. The developer of this threat actually do not establishes communication with 'Command and Control' servers and the victims are not facilitated with an email address for contact. Thus, due to this undoubtedly it is very clear that paying the asked amount of ransom money is definitely not going to result in a favorable outcome and the data is going to be remain encrypted. Instead one should only focus on the complete removal of Alcatraz Ransomware from the PC.
Remove Alcatraz Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Alcatraz Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Alcatraz Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Alcatraz Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Alcatraz Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Alcatraz Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Alcatraz Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Alcatraz Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Alcatraz Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.