From last week I started receiving message about one of the new and extremely disastrous ransomware infection namely Odin, that very rapidly became the most hazardous in recent weeks. So, to those users who unfortunately got the invasion of this ransomware infection inside the PC, it is stated that Odin is not a stand-alone program. Instead it is actually a recent launched version of Locky ransomware that initially includes the tendency of changing the extensions of the encrypted files to .locky, then .zepto and now finally .odin. So, in a case if you are finding your files with .odin extension on your PC, then chances are high or almost it is done that your PC has been infected with Odin ransomware program. So it’s high time for you now to remove it as quickly as possible from your PC.
Odin Ransomware – Features &Invasion Tactics
Locky has actually not replaced it’s way of acquiring penetration inside the PC. It just as before makes usage of vicious script files attached to the spam e-mails. So, at the time when users receives such a letter and opens an attachment, the encrypted dll installer get downloaded, decrypted and implemented utilizing a Windows program i.e., Rundll32.exe. Further then the vicious file encrypts the files stored on the system’s hard drive. This infection has been found capable of compromising wide range of file formats. Some of them are shown below :
Odin ransomware following the successful encryption, generated three files namely “_5_HOWDO_text.html”, “_HOWDO_text.bmp” and “_HOWDO_text.html” and locate them on the desktop. The three generates contains the identical ransom-demanding message, informing users about the occurred encryption. Moreover they provides the users with two keys meanwhile the encryption process i.e., public [encryption] and private [decryption]. The message displayed by three files simply states that the decryption is only possible in one condition i.e., via receiving the private key that has been stored at the remote servers controlled by Odin’s developers. Furthermore, users are suggested to receive the key via visiting one of the provided Tor Project links. Now here the users are facilated with detailed information regarding the payment.
Odin Ransomware apart from practicing encryption, brings modification in the default system settings and sniff the user’s private information for bad purpose. It also injects various other harmful threats in the PC. So, to stop all such disastrous practices from being implemented in the PC, it is very essential to remove Odin Ransomware quickly from the PC.
Remove .odin extension From Your PC
Step 1: Remove .odin extension in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove .odin extension using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To .odin extension
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find .odin extension related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove .odin extension Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove .odin extension related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the .odin extension virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Step-By-Step Video Removal Guide To Decrypt .odin extension File
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the .odin extension infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.