Cerber README.hta Ransomware – What is it?
Cerber README.hta Ransomware is a newly released ransomware which comes with highly advanced features. As already there are three version of Cerber Ransomware appeared plus it's campaign spread over the entire world. Thus it is a very strong indicator that developer of this ransomware have modified the older version of Cerber heavily.
Do you know what are the difference between the older and the newer version of Cerber ransomware? If yes then good otherwise you have to know that the newer version drops .hta file extension to encrypts users all stored files. It encrypted file by using strong encrypting algorithm and adding 4 alpha numerical characters at the end of the System files. This version of ransomware does not only scrambled the filename but also replaced the extension which means that the files was previously locked as 5NgPiSr5z0.Cerberus but now it may be encrypted with name 1xQHJgozZM.b71c. After encrypting files, it makes all data unusable and inaccessible. When any user tried to access their files, it prevents them and leaves a HTA file as a ransom note on the desktop screen. When you launched your System, a ransom note will appear on your System screen in an application window. Snippet of the ransomware as follows :
According to the BloodDolly who us a security researchers, this version of Cerber ransomware includes an additional new database processes which closed by close_process directive in the Cerber's configuration. With this directive Cerber tells to terminate the specific processes before starting the file encryption process. The current list of processes and the directions being terminate as follows :
Above listed processes are closed to enable the process's data files. if the processes are executing during the encryption procedure then the corresponding data files may inaccessible for encryption by the Cerber Ransomware. At last, this version of ransomware continues to send the UDP packed to 126.96.36.199/23 for the statistical purposes.
How does Cerber README.hta Ransomware spread and work?
Similar to other variant of Cerber Ransomware, it also intrudes into the user PC secretly via Spam-emails attachments and exploit kits. When you click any mail attachments that forged header details and sent from the unverified persons or locations then it may easily intrudes into your PC. Besides this, it can also intrudes into your Computer when you download and install any freeware packages from untrusted sites, visiting of any malicious or pornographic sites, use of any infected media devices, file sharing network, torrent files etc. Through these way, it can easily enters into your PC.
Once Cerber README.hta Ransomware successfully intrudes into your PC, it will connect you with C&C server. It is able to tracks your all online history, browsing activities, cookies and other crucial data such as banking login details, ID, password, contact details etc. After gathering your all crucial details, it send them to remote attackers for illegal purposes. It uses an administrative command to delete the all shadow copies of the infected PC by deleting all previous file versions. All system files becomes inaccessible by this ransomware. Thus, it makes data and privacy at high risk. So you should delete Cerber README.hta Ransomware immediately from your compromised machine.
Remove Cerber README.hta Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove Cerber README.hta Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove Cerber README.hta Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To Cerber README.hta Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find Cerber README.hta Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove Cerber README.hta Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove Cerber README.hta Ransomware related entries.
An Effective Video Guide To Delete Cerber README.hta Ransomware
Now hopefully you have completely removed the Cerber README.hta Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the Cerber README.hta Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.