Recently, team of security researchers have spotted a new variant of Scarab Ransomware that locked users stored files with .red file extension. The newly discovered ransomware is known as Red ransomware. If you are also one of its victim and searching for best Red ransomware removal effective guidelines then read this post completely.
Red ransomware : It's Analysis Report
|Threat's Name||Red ransomware|
|Danger Level||Very High|
|Email Address||[email protected]|
|Primary Aim||Locks users stored files, makes them inaccessible and asks victims to pay ransom demanded fee.|
|Removal||Possible, to delete Red ransomware and decrypt .red files, users must download Windows Scanner Tool.|
Red ransomware : Another Cryptovirus Identified As Variant of Scarab Ransomware
Red ransomware is identified as another cryptovirus belongs to Ransomware family. Some of the security experts are also identified it as a Scarab-Red Ransomware. According to the depth analysis by researcher, it is a latest variant of Scarab Ransomware that locks users files with strong AES file encryption algorithm. Affected users can identified this ransomware attack due to it's file extension. This ransomware is mainly known for using .Red file extension to the end of targeted file name. After locking users generated content such as audio or video clips, databases, images, PDFs, documents and many more, it prevents the affected System users from accessing their System files normally.
Soon after the file encryption procedure, it places a ransom note entitled as HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES into each affected folder. In the ransom note, hackers often ask victims about the attack of Red ransomware and asks victims to contact with the developers of ransomware through provided email address. It also asks victims to pay ransom fee in Bitcoin to decrypt .red files. But before paying the ransom fee, you must know that, it is still not decryptable like other variant of Scarab Ransomware. Paying money is not recommended from the System security expert. Instead of paying the ransom demanded fee, you must take an immediate action regarding the removal of Red ransomware.
Problems Caused By Red ransomware
- Makes almost all stored files unreadable or inaccessible.
- Delete the Shadow Volume copies.
- Automatically alter the Windows Registry entries and System files.
- Blocks functionality of System security tool.
- Opens backdoor for injecting several malicious threats etc.
Sources Through Which Red ransomware Infect Windows PC
Similar to the previous variant of Scarab Ransomware, Red ransomware also enters inside the Windows machine using several tricky channels but some of the most common deceptive channels are as follows :
- Spam campaigns
- Torrent downloads
- Bundling method
- Pirated software
- Hacked domain or gambling site
- Drive-by-downloads etc
A: How To Remove Red ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill Red ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the Red ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall Red ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all Red ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore Red ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing Red ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing Red ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by Red ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.