Know About .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware
.SKUNK File Extension Ransomware is another variant of GlobeImposter Ransomware which is well known for attacking the Windows machine. Doesn't matter what OS you are using because it is capable to affect all version of Windows Operating System including Windows Vista, Me, NT, Server, XP, 7, 8/8.1 and the latest version Windows 10. The name of this ransomware is named by security experts as it places '.SKUNK' file extension at the end of the files name.
Threat's Profile of .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware
|Name of Threat||.SKUNK File Extension Ransomware|
|Belongs To||GlobeImposter Family|
|Primarily Targeted||English Speaking Users|
|Danger Level||Very High|
|Discovered on||27th April 2018|
|Affected Systems||All version of Windows OS|
|Description||.SKUNK File Extension Ransomware is a newly identified ransomware but it's intrusion method and notorious behavior is same that aim to compromise Windows machine.|
|Occurrences||Spam campaigns, bundling method, torrent files, drive-by-downloads, gambling sites, P2P file sharing sources etc.|
|The removal of .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware is possible using a third-party tool named Windows Scanner Tool, download it.|
Detailed Information of .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware That You Must Know
According to the researchers, .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware is designed to lock images, pictures, videos, audios files, PDFs, eBooks, documents, databases and much more using the custom AES encryption algorithm. It is configured to generate the unique pair of the encryption as well as decryption keys for each infected device. The people behind .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware usually keep a copy of file decryption key for each infected System user and try to lure innocent users into paying for the file decryption program. Bear in your mind that this ransomware is not different from other HiddenTear variant.
Once locking System files and making them inaccessible, it drops a ransom note in html file format to desktop entitled as "READ_IT.html". Since it belongs to GlobeImposter Ransomware, the affected users might find several ransom messages on the desktop screen including '#DECRYPT_FILES#.html, '!back_files!.html', '!SOS!.html, '!your_files!.html', 'READ_this_FILE.html', 'RECOVER-FILES.html' and much more. The developers of this ransomware is mainly targeted the English speaking System users but does not mean that it cannot affect other speaking System users.
After seeing ransom message, most of the System users think that they should pay ransom fee to decrypt files or get the decryption key but team of security experts are strictly warned System users to do so because there is no any assurances provided by it's developer that you will get the unique decryption key even paying ransom fee. According to the security experts, files can be easily recovered using backup but to keep all valuable data protected and safe, the deletion of .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware is highly recommended from infected machine.
A: How To Remove .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by .SKUNK File Extension Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.