Threat Summary Of WhiteShadow
|Main Objective||To deliver a wide range of other malware to infected hosts|
|Description||WhiteShadow is a trojan downloader which is involved in delivering the infamous Crimson RAT to the targeted computer systems.|
|Affected PC||All Windows PC|
|Removal||Click to remove WhiteShadow|
Description About WhiteShadow?
The WhiteShadow threat often appears as a malware-as-a-service because its creators have decided to rent it out potential clients, instead of using it privately. The WhiteShadow is a trojan downloader where most of its activities in 2019 is involved in delivering the infamous Crimson RAT to the targeted computer systems. Nevertheless, the WhiteShadow is capable of delivering a wide range of other malware to infected hosts which includes Remcos, Agent Tesla, Formbook, njRAT and others.
The operators of the WhiteShadow downloader appears in using spam email campaigns inorder to propagate this threat. The Microsoft Office attachments which contains corrupted macro-scripts seems to be the main infection vector which is employed in the spreading of the WhiteShadow malware. The attackers tend to use various social engineering methods to get the user for allowing the macro-scripts which is to be executed once when the victim opens the attachment. If you fall in the deception of the WhiteShadow downloader operators, you may end up in a bit of trouble.
The WhiteShadow threat has some basic capabilities when it comes to detecting and avoiding sandbox environments. Either, its obfuscation techniques aren't too impressive. However, unlike most of the threats of this type, the WhiteShadow downloader doesn't download its binary from a remote server which is set up by its operators. This WhiteShadow which is a cunning piece of malware that establishes a strong connection with a Microsoft SQL database server by which it extracts an encrypted string by sending an SQL query. The WhiteShadow threat would decrypt the string and archive it in a “.PKZip” file where the archive file is launched and then the threatening payload begin to install on the compromised host.
The WhiteShadow trojan downloader proves to be a nasty pest as it is likely to be rented out and spread by a variety of con artists in all over the world. To reduce the risk of becoming a victim of this WhiteShadow downloader, ensure that you update your all software regularly and you have installed a legitimate anti-malware application.
How to Remove WhiteShadow from Compromised PC (Manual Steps)
(This guide is intended to help users in following Step by Step instructions in making Windows Safe)
The first step which need to be followed is to Restart Windows PC in Safe Mode
Reboot in Safe Mode (For Windows XP | Vista | Win7)
- Restart Computer
- Tap on F8 continuously when the PC starts booting and select the option to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
For Windows 8/8.1
- Press on the Start Button and then Choose Control Panel from the menu option
- Users need to opt for System and Security, to select Administrative Tools and then System Configuration.
3. Next, Click on the Safe Boot option and then choose OK, this will open a pop-up window, next Select Restart Option.
For Windows 10
- Start Menu is to be selected to Open it
- Press the power button icon which is present in the right corner, this will display power options menu.
- Keeping the SHIFT Key pressed on the keyboard, select the restart option. This will reboot Win 10
- Now you need to select the Troubleshoot icon, followed by advanced option in the startup Settings. Click on Restart. This will give the option to reboot, now select Enter Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Uninstall WhiteShadow from Task Manager on Windows
How to End the Running Process related to WhiteShadow using Task Manager
- Firstly, Open Task Manager by Pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Combination
- Next, Click on processes to Find WhiteShadow
- Now Click and select End Process to terminate WhiteShadow.
Step3: How to Uninstall WhiteShadow from Control Panel on Windows
for Win XP| Vista and Win 7 Users
- Click and Select on Start Menu
- Now Control Panel is to be selected from the list
- Next Click on Uninstall Program
- Users need to Choose suspicious program related to WhiteShadow and right clicking on it.
- Finally, Select Uninstall option.
For Win 8
- Click and Select “Charms bar”
- Now Select Settings Option
- Next Click on Control Panel
- Select on Uninstall a Program Option and right click on program associated to WhiteShadow and finally uninstall it.
For Windows 10
- The first Step is to Click and Select on Start Menu
- Now Click on All Apps
- Choose WhiteShadow and other suspicious program from the complete list
- Now right Click on to select WhiteShadow and finally Uninstall it from Windows 10
Step: 4 How to Delete WhiteShadow Created Files from Registry
- Open Registry by Typing Regedit in the Windows Search Field and then press on Enter.
- This will open the registry entries. Now users need to press CTRL + F together and type WhiteShadow to find the entries.
- Once located, delete all WhiteShadow named entries. If you are unable to find it, you need to look up for it on the directories manually. Be careful and delete only WhiteShadow entries, else it can damage your Windows Computer severely.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—-Windows—CurrentVersion—Run– Random HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
Still having any problem in getting rid of WhiteShadow, or have any doubt regarding this, feel free to ask our experts.