Researchers Report On HAWKBALL
HAWKBALL is a new term listed under dangerous malware category that aim to target the institutions of Russian government mainly located in Central Asia countries. It uses self preservation tactic to avoid it's detection from user machine. This malware is mainly equipped with capabilities of ensuring whether infected host is a device or not. It also includes sandbox environment for debugging malicious malware. If test returns positive then it means that HAWKBALL has landed in the environment of sandbox and your all processes will be halted immediately. But in case, if test returns the negative result then HAWKBALL behaves as a system backdoor and proceed this malware attack for gaining the persistence on user device via modifying Windows Registry.
Threat's Profile of HAWKBALL
- Threat Name – HAWKBALL
- Type – Trojan
- Risk Level –
- Mainly target – Russian Government institutions
- Related – Win32/MicTrayDebugger, ShellTea, IPStorm etc.
- Primary Goal – Tricks novice users, collects their personal data and forwarded them to scammers.
- Removal Solution – Regarding the successful deletion of HAWKBALL, you must use Windows Scanner Tool.
Transmission Tendencies of HAWKBALL
Being a part of malicious malware, HAWKBALL uses lots of tricky and deceptive tactics to compromise user's machine but mainly it is propagated or spread via campaigns of spear phishing email. Hackers often sent the malicious email on user's inbox which is mainly masked as the legitimate email. Spam emails seems as a trustworthy one pretends to be appear with legitimate companies but actually it is sent by the department of anti-terrorist. Such an attachment includes the threating payload. In short, opening of any campaign of spear-phishing email will lead you to HAWKBALL infection. So, you must be aware while opening of any message or downloading of dubious attachment.
Get Familiar With Primary Goal of HAWKBALL
The creators or cyber criminals of this malware includes the hardcoded Command & Control server in user's IP address for the data exfiltrating purposes. It is mainly known for infiltrating the host before deploying the payload of second stage. The sole intention of it's creator is to seeks user's crucial data like System as well as network configuration detail, OS version, username, IP address, software as well as hardware infrastructure and many more. Once infiltrating inside the targeted machine, it really causes lots of serious troubles. So, the removal of HAWKBALL is highly essential.
Malevolent Actions Performed By HAWKBALL
- Permits hacker to execute specific command on corrupt machine.
- Add some new shortcut icon and link to desktop screen.
- Automatic execution of additional system files.
- Collection of several directory list data.
- Relocating and wiping of user's crucial files.
- Operating of user's Windows Command prompt improperly.
- Degrades overall working speed by consuming too much resources etc.
Manual HAWKBALL Removal Guide
Step 1: How to Start your PC in Safe Mode with Networking to Get Rid of HAWKBALL
(For Win 7 | XP | Vista Users)
- first of all PC is to be rebooted in Safe Mode with Networking
- Select on Start Button and Click on Shutdown | Restart option and select OK
- when the PC restarts, keep tapping on F8 until you don’t get Advanced Boot Options.
- Safe Mode with Networking Option is to be selected from the list.
(For Win 8 | 8.1 | Win 10 Users)
- Click on Power Button near Windows Login Screen
- Keep Shift Button on the keyboard pressed and select Restart Option
- Now Select on Enable Safe Mode with Networking Option
In case HAWKBALL, is not letting your PC to Start in Safe Mode, then following Step is to followed
Step 2: Remove HAWKBALL Using System Restore Process
- PC need to be rebooted to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- As soon as Command Prompt Window appear on the screen, select on cd restore and press on Enter option
Type rstrui.exe and Click on Enter again.
Now users need to Click on Next option and Choose restore point that was the last time Windows was working fine prior to HAWKBALL infection. Once done, Click on Next button.
Select Yes to Restore your System and get rid of HAWKBALL infection.
However, if the above steps does not work to remove HAWKBALL, follow the below mentioned steps
Step:3 Unhide All Hidden Files and Folders to Delete HAWKBALL
How to View HAWKBALL Hidden Folders on Windows XP
- In order to show the hidden files and folders, you need to follow the given instructions:-
- Close all the Windows or minimize the opened application to go to desktop.
- Open “My Computer” by double-clicking on its icon.
- Click on Tools menu and select Folder options.
- Click on the View tab from the new Window.
- Check the Display contents of the system folders options.
- In the Hidden files and folders section, you need to put a check mark on Show hidden files and folders option.
- Click on Apply and then OK button. Now, close the Window.
- Now, you can see all the HAWKBALL related hidden files and folders on the system.
How to Access HAWKBALL Hidden folders on Windows Vista
- Minimize or close all opened tabs and go to Desktop.
- Go to the lower left of your screen, you will see Windows logo there, click on Start button.
- Go to Control Panel menu and click on it.
- After Control Panel got opened, there will two options, either “Classic View” or “Control Panel Home View”.
- Do the following when you are in “Classic View”.
- Double click on the icon and open Folder Options.
- Choose View tab.
- Again move to step 5.
- Do the following if you are “Control Panel Home View”.
- Hit button on Appearance and Personalization link.
- Chose Show Hidden Files or Folders.
- Under the Hidden File or Folder section, click on the button which is right next to the Show Hidden Files or Folders.
- Click on Apply button and then hit OK. Now, close the window.
- Now, to show you all hidden files or folders created by HAWKBALL, you have successfully considered Windows Vista.
How to Unhide HAWKBALL Created Folders on Windows 7
1. Go to the desktop and tap on the small rectangle which is located in the lower-right part of the system screen.
2. Now, just open the “Start” menu by clicking on the Windows start button which is located in the lower-left side of the PC screen that carries the windows logo.
3. Then after, look for the “Control Panel” menu option in the right-most row and open it.
4. When the Control Panel menu opens, then look for the “Folder Options” link.
5. Tap over the “View tab”.
6. Under the “Advanced Settings” category, double click on the “Hidden Files or Folders” associated with HAWKBALL.
7. Next, just select the check-box in order to Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
8. After this, click on “Apply” >> “OK” and then close the menu.
9. Now, the Windows 7 should be configured to show you all hidden files, folders or drives.
Steps to Unhide HAWKBALL related Files and Folders on Windows 8
- First of all, power on your Windows PC and click on start logo button that is found in left side of the system screen.
- Now, move to program lists and select control panel app.
- When Control panel is open completely, click on more settings option.
- After, you will see a Control panel Window and then you choose “Appearance and Personalization” tab.
- In Advance settings dialogue box, you need to tick mark on Show hidden files and folders and clear the check box for Hide protected system files.
- Click on Apply and Ok button. This apply option helps you to detect and eradicate all types of HAWKBALL related suspicious files.
- Finally, navigate your mouse cursor on close option to exit this panel.
How to View HAWKBALL associated folders on Windows 10
1. Open the folder if you wish to unhide files.
2. Search and Click on View in Menu bar
3. In Menu click on to view folder options.
4. Again click on View and Enable Radio Button associated with Show hidden files created by HAWKBALL, folder and drive.
5. Press apply and OK.
Step 4: Press Start Key along with R- copy + paste the below stated command and Click on OK
- This will open up a new file, in case if your system has been hacked, some IP’s will be shown at the bottom of the screen
Click on the Start Menu, Input “Control Panel” in the search box —> Select. Network and Internet —> Network and Sharing Center —> Next Change Adapter Settings. Right-click your Internet connection —> Select on Properties.
- In case if you find Suspicious IP in the local host –or if you are finding it difficult and have any problem then submit question to us and we will be happy to help you.