An Introduction To Prowli
Prowli is a malware program which is used to compromise routers, IoT (Internet of Things) devices universally and servers. It has detected in June 2018. It has infected more than 40,000 servers, internet connected smart device and network modem and infected 93 PCs till now. The cyber criminals are using this malware to hijacks servers, websites and home devices in different countries. The machines which is affected by the Prowli are:
- DSL modems
- Backup servers that runs HP Data Protector software
- WordPress and Drupal CMS servers
- Joomla! servers running the K2 extension
- NFS boxes
- Vulnerable Internet-of-Thing (IoT) devices
- Servers with an open SSH port
- PhpMyAdmin installations
- Servers with exposed SMB ports
Distribution Method Of Prowli
Prowli enters via freeware downloads, shareware, peer to peer file transfer, clicking on malicious websites etc.
Common Symptoms Of Prowli
Prowli act as both worm and trojan. It means it has two major components that attains various intentions entirely. The primary component is a worm which is known as R2R2 which mines the Monero (XMR) digital coins and do SSH brute force attack on the new device by which it can easily expand the botnet and runs on the server. The secondary component is the web traffic monetization program which modifies the advertisements on the compromised page.
Harmful Effects Of Prowli
Prowli corrupt the registry entries and damages the system files which are important for the proper functioning of PC. It is able to create undesirable shortcuts and duplicate the files and folders which consumes high power of CPU and drag the overall performance of the system. It disable the antivirus in your computer. It also deactivate the security tools and firewall settings. It gives the chance to hackers to collect your all important files and folders to make profit by it. You will also get disturbance to maintain your privacy. It creates the doorway for other threats and disable the control panel, task manager and others. It also causes BSOD errors which prevents regular task on PC. So, it is very important to remove Prowli from your computer as early as possible. You should read the terms and condition before installing any free software. Update regularly the antivirus software and scan your system daily with this updated program. Use the strong password all over the internet where it is required.
Manual Prowli Removal Guide
Step 1: How to Start your PC in Safe Mode with Networking to Get Rid of Prowli
(For Win 7 | XP | Vista Users)
- first of all PC is to be rebooted in Safe Mode with Networking
- Select on Start Button and Click on Shutdown | Restart option and select OK
- when the PC restarts, keep tapping on F8 until you don’t get Advanced Boot Options.
- Safe Mode with Networking Option is to be selected from the list.
(For Win 8 | 8.1 | Win 10 Users)
- Click on Power Button near Windows Login Screen
- Keep Shift Button on the keyboard pressed and select Restart Option
- Now Select on Enable Safe Mode with Networking Option
In case Prowli, is not letting your PC to Start in Safe Mode, then following Step is to followed
Step 2: Remove Prowli Using System Restore Process
- PC need to be rebooted to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- As soon as Command Prompt Window appear on the screen, select on cd restore and press on Enter option
Type rstrui.exe and Click on Enter again.
Now users need to Click on Next option and Choose restore point that was the last time Windows was working fine prior to Prowli infection. Once done, Click on Next button.
Select Yes to Restore your System and get rid of Prowli infection.
However, if the above steps does not work to remove Prowli, follow the below mentioned steps
Step:3 Unhide All Hidden Files and Folders to Delete Prowli
How to View Prowli Hidden Folders on Windows XP
- In order to show the hidden files and folders, you need to follow the given instructions:-
- Close all the Windows or minimize the opened application to go to desktop.
- Open “My Computer” by double-clicking on its icon.
- Click on Tools menu and select Folder options.
- Click on the View tab from the new Window.
- Check the Display contents of the system folders options.
- In the Hidden files and folders section, you need to put a check mark on Show hidden files and folders option.
- Click on Apply and then OK button. Now, close the Window.
- Now, you can see all the Prowli related hidden files and folders on the system.
How to Access Prowli Hidden folders on Windows Vista
- Minimize or close all opened tabs and go to Desktop.
- Go to the lower left of your screen, you will see Windows logo there, click on Start button.
- Go to Control Panel menu and click on it.
- After Control Panel got opened, there will two options, either “Classic View” or “Control Panel Home View”.
- Do the following when you are in “Classic View”.
- Double click on the icon and open Folder Options.
- Choose View tab.
- Again move to step 5.
- Do the following if you are “Control Panel Home View”.
- Hit button on Appearance and Personalization link.
- Chose Show Hidden Files or Folders.
- Under the Hidden File or Folder section, click on the button which is right next to the Show Hidden Files or Folders.
- Click on Apply button and then hit OK. Now, close the window.
- Now, to show you all hidden files or folders created by Prowli, you have successfully considered Windows Vista.
How to Unhide Prowli Created Folders on Windows 7
1. Go to the desktop and tap on the small rectangle which is located in the lower-right part of the system screen.
2. Now, just open the “Start” menu by clicking on the Windows start button which is located in the lower-left side of the PC screen that carries the windows logo.
3. Then after, look for the “Control Panel” menu option in the right-most row and open it.
4. When the Control Panel menu opens, then look for the “Folder Options” link.
5. Tap over the “View tab”.
6. Under the “Advanced Settings” category, double click on the “Hidden Files or Folders” associated with Prowli.
7. Next, just select the check-box in order to Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
8. After this, click on “Apply” >> “OK” and then close the menu.
9. Now, the Windows 7 should be configured to show you all hidden files, folders or drives.
Steps to Unhide Prowli related Files and Folders on Windows 8
- First of all, power on your Windows PC and click on start logo button that is found in left side of the system screen.
- Now, move to program lists and select control panel app.
- When Control panel is open completely, click on more settings option.
- After, you will see a Control panel Window and then you choose “Appearance and Personalization” tab.
- In Advance settings dialogue box, you need to tick mark on Show hidden files and folders and clear the check box for Hide protected system files.
- Click on Apply and Ok button. This apply option helps you to detect and eradicate all types of Prowli related suspicious files.
- Finally, navigate your mouse cursor on close option to exit this panel.
How to View Prowli associated folders on Windows 10
1. Open the folder if you wish to unhide files.
2. Search and Click on View in Menu bar
3. In Menu click on to view folder options.
4. Again click on View and Enable Radio Button associated with Show hidden files created by Prowli, folder and drive.
5. Press apply and OK.
Step 4: Press Start Key along with R- copy + paste the below stated command and Click on OK
- This will open up a new file, in case if your system has been hacked, some IP’s will be shown at the bottom of the screen
Click on the Start Menu, Input “Control Panel” in the search box —> Select. Network and Internet —> Network and Sharing Center —> Next Change Adapter Settings. Right-click your Internet connection —> Select on Properties.
- In case if you find Suspicious IP in the local host –or if you are finding it difficult and have any problem then submit question to us and we will be happy to help you.