AVCrypt ransomware : Threat’s Description
|Description||AVCrypt ransomware checks for installed anti-virus program registered with Windows Security Center and uses WMIC to delete it and then started encoding the files.|
|Possible Symptoms||File enryption, performance degradation of system, other malware attacks, cyber theft, etc.|
|Detection / Removal Tool||Download AVCrypt ransomware Scanner to confirm the attack of AVCrypt ransomware virus.|
Detailed Information on AVCrypt ransomware
AVCrypt ransomware is a kind of notorious system threat which is especially designed by the hackers to disable installed anti-virus programs and security tool on compromised machine even if the victimized users make the successful ransom payment. At the time of writing this article, it is still unclear that the malware is in-development file-encoder virus or a system wiper infection. Although, it drops a ransom notification on victim's machine identified as '+HOW_TO_UNLOCK.txt' file which contains no information on how to pay asked ransom money or contact the virus developers. Surprisingly, cyber extortionists behind AVCrypt ransomware focuses on removing installed or active security application right after its successful invasion.
To be more precise, the threat mainly targets the popular anti-virus programs named Malwarebytes and Windows Defender to stop their working operation by deleting some crucial Windows services. In addition to that, the malware checks for the installed anti-virus program registered with Windows Security Center and uses WMIC to delete it. Based on the recent research report, AVCrypt ransomware does not have the ability to delete all security applications, which means that some of them can be secure and used to perform its complete removal from affected machine. It has features of both file-encrypting and wiper. This ransomware might remove some crucial Windows services which causes issues with the proper working of installed operating system.
Working Principles of AVCrypt ransomware
Right after its successful intrusion on targeted Windows computer, the malware does not start encoding the files stored onto it immediately, but connects affected machine with a Command & Control server. In addition to that, it first delete the installed anti-virus and transfer some vital data like timezone, encryption key, and the version of installed OS to its remote C&C server. Once AVCrypt ransomware encrypts the specific file types, it adds '+' prefix onto them and drops a ransom note on each folder containing enciphered files.
The ransom note displays by AVCrypt ransomware does not contain any specific data, but only a message i.e. 'lol n'. Therefore, it is expected that the ransomware is still in-development phase and might be updated anytime to cause big issues on targeted machines. However, Microsoft detects this threat as Ransom:Win32/Pactelung.A that can be removed using a powerful and credible anti-malware shield. It alters Windows registry entries, clean its files and event logs, wipes autorun entry and ransomware processes as well. Hence, it is strongly recommended to use a reputable anti-malware like the one recommended below to delete AVCrypt ransomware.
Remove AVCrypt ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove AVCrypt ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove AVCrypt ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To AVCrypt ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find AVCrypt ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove AVCrypt ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove AVCrypt ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the AVCrypt ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the AVCrypt ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.