DetoxCrypto Virus is a newly discovered ransomware by MalwareHunterTeam that distributed under the two different variants named Calypso and Pokemongo. Both of them have almost the same structure but uses different messages, visual interface and names.
Calypso was first of all discovered in the Korea which distributed in the form of Calypso.exe file. It looks the the generic ransomware. This variant of ransomware does not use any special images or symbols but makes a screenshots of the System user's desktop before displaying him a message with ransom demand. The purpose of this virus is still unknown.
While the Pokemongo was first of all discovered in the Canada which distributed in form of pokemongo.exe. It uses various symbols of famous games to attract the System users. After seeing several attractive games ads, user think that a new version of game and installed it on their PC. but they do not know it is a ransomware virus. Once installed, cyber hackers demand you to pay about 2 BTC ransom amount within 96 hours.
Both variant of DetoxCrypto Virus uses strong AES encryption algorithm. They encrypts your stored file, stop MySQL ans MSSQL services and displays lock screen/ransom note on your desktop screen. In order to pay the ransom amount, the victims of the cyber crooks instructed to contact with provided email address.
Currently, it is unknown how DetoxCrypto Virus distributed into the PC. but it has been observed by experts that all variants uses single distributed executable files that contains other files within it. At the time of main distribution executable is execute, it extract a file named MicrosoftHost.exe a wallpaper background, an audio file and third executable file. MicrosoftHost.exe file performs the encryption of the hard drive and stop the database servers on the Victims' Systems. In encrypting files, it doers not append any other file extension to your file and configure the desktop of Windows desktop to use the embedded image. The third file displays the lock screen and provide the ability to decrypt the file. It is really very dangerous for user PC. That's why you should delete DetoxCrypto Virus immediately from your compromised PC.
A: How To Remove DetoxCrypto Virus From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill DetoxCrypto Virus Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the DetoxCrypto Virus related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall DetoxCrypto Virus From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all DetoxCrypto Virus related items from list.
B: How to Restore DetoxCrypto Virus Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing DetoxCrypto Virus from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing DetoxCrypto Virus from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by DetoxCrypto Virus with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.