Ads by SockShare – Is It Safe to Use?
Apparently, when your computer is infected with Sockshare downloader, you see ads by SockShare on your web browsers. If you do not remember installing the downloader application, probably it may have invaded your computer along with freeware installation without your consent. Despites not being virus or malware Sockshare poses direct threat to your privacy. However, this adware is presented as legitimate software in order to attract PC users who are interested in downloading various types of files for free. But its developers doesn’t disclose that it will take over on your web browsers and display a whole lot of advertising contents in the form of banners, pop ups, light-boxes, hyperlinked text and so on.
Furthermore, you should know that Ads by SockShare may lead you to misleading or phishing websites where either you will be suggested to purchase few products or complete surveys by filling up form with your personal details. This is actually a technique of con artists to gather your personal details in the name of given prizes or coupon for online shopping. Unfortunately, Ads by SockShare adware is compatible with Windows (XP, 7, Vista, 8.1 and 10). Moreover, it is programmed to take advantage of casualties and compromise your browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and others. It could also change your system DNS settings and browser’s homepage, search provider without your consent. Thus, we can say that Ads by SockShare adware application is not safe to use at all.
Ads by SockShare : Ways of Distribution and Prevention
As we mentioned above, Ads by SockShare primarily invades your computer along with free programs such as fake Adobe Flash player, Java, PDF converter, Media player, Sound mixer, System optimizer and others. Thus, you should go through Custom/Advanced installation process to block installation of optional programs like SockShare Downloader or others. Custom installation allows you to deselect optional programs from the queue. This way you can block stealth installation of the adware applications. In few cases, while surfing online, you may see recommendation to install free programs or software updates, you should never install such updates from certainly redirected domains. These updates may be carrying Ads by SockShare adware bundled with themselves. Moreover, it can also arrive through infected USBs, so when you plug in USB device, you should scan it with reliable Antivirus software. This way you can protect your computer from being infected with various adware applications.
Now, we recommend you to uninstall Ads by SockShare (Sockshare downloader) from your computer as soon as possible. Its removal instruction is following:
Learn To Remove Ads by SockShare Using Manual Methods
Phase 1 : Show Hidden Files To Delete Ads by SockShare Related Files And Folders
1. For Windows 8 or 10 Users : From the Ribbon’s View in My PC click on Options icon.
2. For Windows 7 or Vista Users : Open My Computer and tap on Organize button on the upper left corner and then to Folder and Search Options from the drop down menu.
3. Now go to the View tab and enable Show hidden files and folder options and then uncheck the Hide protected system operating files checkbox option below.
4. Finally look for any suspicious files in the hidden folders as given below and delete it.
Phase 2 : Get Rid of Ads by SockShare Related Extensions Related From Different Web Browsers
From Chrome :
1. Click on Menu icon, hover through More Tools then tap on Extensions.
2. Now click on Trash icon on the extensions tab there next to suspicious extensions to remove it.
From Internet Explorer :
1. Click on Manage add-ons option from the drop down menu on going through Gear icon.
2. Now if you find any suspicious extension in the Toolbars and Extensions panel then right click on it and Delete option to remove it.
From Mozilla Firefox :
1. Tap on Add-ons on going through Menu icon.
2. In the Extensions tab click on Disable or Remove button next to Ads by SockShare related extensions to remove them.
From Opera :
1. Press Opera menu, hover to Extensions and then select Extensions manager there.
2. Now if any browser extension looks suspicious to you then click on (X) button to remove it.
From Safari :
1. Click Preferences… on going through Settings Gear icon.
2. Now on Extensions tab click on Uninstall button to remove it.
From Microsoft Edge :
Note:–As there is no option for Extension Manager in Microsoft Edge so in order to sort out issues related with adware programs in MS Edge you can change its default homepage and search engine.
Change Default Homepage of Ms Edge –
1. Click on More(…) followed by Settings and then to Start page under Open With section.
2. Now select View advanced settings button and then in Search in the address bar with section, you can select Google or any other homepage as your preference.
Change Default Search Engine Settings of Ms Edge –
1. Select More(…) then Settings followed by View advanced settings button.
2. Under Search in the address bar with box click on <Add new>. Now you can choose from the available list of search providers or add you preferred search engine and click Add as default.
Phase 3 : Block Unwanted Pop-ups from Ads by SockShare On Different Web Browsers
1. Google Chrome : Click Menu icon → Settings → Show advanced settings… → Content Settings… under Privacy section → enable Do not allow any site to show pop-ups (recommended) option → Done.
2. Mozilla Firefox : Tap on Menu icon → Options → Content panel → check Block pop-up windows in Pop-ups section.
3. Internet Explorer : Click Gear Settings icon → Internet Options → in Privacy tab enable Turn on Pop-up Blocker under Pop-up Blocker Section.
4. Microsoft Edge : Press More(…) option → Settings → View advanced settings → toggle on Block pop-ups.
Still having troubles in removing Ads by SockShare from your compromised PC ? Then you don’t need to worry. You can feel free to ask questions to us about malware related issues.