What are the severe things you should know about GOG Ransomware?
A new malware strain is found very recently and called as GOG Ransomware. It does not have any connections with GOG.com, which is a store for DRM-free games and goodies. It has been named after when the images stated that “THE GOG RANSOMWARE”, which has been found in the main executable file section. It has been spotted in the last days of year 2016 and founded as a variant of Crypto virus. According to security experts it is not a unique ransom threat but its functionality is rather too straightforward. It has been developed by the cyber hackers to extort money from the infected users. It uses most advanced RSA-4095 cryptography encryption algorithm to lock your files by performing encryption routine on your system files. It takes on your files and make it completely inaccessible. Your system have to face some undesirable works of this malware.
Threat information : GOG Ransomware
0.3 Bitcoins ($305)
System exploit kits, malicious ads, freeware, spam email attachments, etc
Windows Operating System
Spam emails crafted with trusted logos to distribute the GOG Ransomware
As most of the ransom virus uses spam emails to send the infection to the users system this GOG Ransomware also do the same. It uses some specially crafted spam emails which uses popular and legit logos of banks, organizations, social media, online stores to pretend like genuine and carries corrupt codes, malicious doc files or texts which when the user download it on their systems then instantly the executable auto run on the PC and payload gets into it. It allows a macro source to run on your system which opens the welcome screen of this ransom virus on your every next system reboot. It uses RSA-4096 and AES ciphers to lock your files such as presentations, audio, videos, spreadsheets and similar others. It encrypts all of these files and makes their content completely unreadable.
Malware hackers prefers to use doing business in Bitcoins
It looks very much inspired with very infamous Locky Ransomware. It also follows the same encryption routine and place a new “.locked” file extension appended with each enciphered files. Then after shows a ransom note to scare the users and demand 0.3 Bitcoins ($328 and 313 EURO) to recover your files back by purchasing a decryption key. The ransom note also included the installation steps of TOR browser to access the payment site and manages Bitcoins.
So if you want to hassle free to use your system then you should use an updated anti-malware to remove GOG Ransomware from your compromised system. Then run backup to restore your files.
Watch Effective Tutorial Video Guide To Get Rid of GOG Ransomware – YouTube
Remove GOG Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove GOG Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove GOG Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To GOG Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find GOG Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove GOG Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove GOG Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the GOG Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the GOG Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.