Analysis Report on '.x3m File Extension' Ransomware
It has been all over the security forums that in November 2016 including '.x3m File Extension' Ransomware several other variants of the famous Globe Ransomware were unleashed by the cyber criminals. This ransomware name is given after the extension name that this ransomware appends after encrypting files on the affected Windows system. The payload file which distribute the this Ransomware is transferred to PC users mostly via spam emails. Spam emails may contain messages suggesting you to confirm a purchase on Amazon and most importantly review a text document that was sent by the ransomware creator. This is the social engineering trick being used to fool incautious PC users into downloading and executing intrusive files.
Furthermore, '.x3m File Extension' Ransomware comes with a mechanism that combines AES and RSA encryption standard to encrypt files and generate extremely secured decryption key and public key. After completion of the encoding process, the decryption key is stored on the ransomware's command and control (C&C) servers and the public key is left on the victim's PC as an unique victim ID. The public key is used to identify the victims by the ransomware developers. Moreover, this cryptomalware demands 0.8 BTC in order to deliver specific decryption key generated for your corrupted files withing a week. The developers are using [email protected] in order to communicate with the victims.
Various AV vendors have detected '.x3m File Extension' Ransomware and gave following different names:
Is File Decryption/Restoring Possible or Not?
Unfortunately, Security experts are still in the research to find a coding bug and release a free decryption tool. However, you don't need to worry because we've created an alternative guideline to restore your corrupted files easily. If you are even a little tech person, you can get back your files. But it has a little risk, if you don't wish to take risk, try automatic restoring techniques explained in this article. This guide can effectively help you to restore your files having '.x3m' file extension.
However, before start using restoring technique, we suggest you to remove '.x3m File Extension' Ransomware using the following instructions ASAP.
Remove ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the ‘.x3m File Extension’ Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.