Detailed Information on CA$HOUT Ransomware
CA$HOUT Ransomware is a newly detected file-encoder program which is created by an amateur group of cyber criminals. The executable file used by this ransomware is identified as WindowsApplication1.exe. Based on its executable file, security researchers reveals that the malware was developed using Visual Studio. It is a poorly programed file-encrypting virus which appears to be complied from copy or pasted code from different malicious sources. This threat was detected on 13th June 2017 and appeared to be a work of amateur spammers. Besides, the CA$HOUT Ransomware may invade the targeted computers with the help of corrupted documents and malicious links provided in the spam emails.
A closer look on this ransomware revealed that the encryption engine of this malware is not properly programmed by the criminal hackers and compares very poorly to similar file-encoder virus. Although, the threat does not scan the affected system for the data storage devices attached to it, instead it checks the certain folders that are stored on the local disks and then proceed to encode their content. It means that the CA$HOUT Ransomware may not encipher many file types stored on infected machine, in case if there are no folders that matches the scan parameters that the malware uses.
How Does CA$HOUT Ransomware Work?
According to the cyber security analysts, this ransomware is equipped with strong encryption algorithms and connects infected machine to command and control servers operated by the cyber extortionists. This remote server delivers some specific data related to your computer, such as IP address, active user account name, Windows version and computer name. However, the files that are encoded by CA$HOUT Ransomware can be easily identified by the generic white icon that Windows explorer uses in order to display unrecognized data containers. Furthermore, it modifies the structure of the objects stored on the disks to make them unusable and then force victims to purchase a decryptor.
The ransom note of this file-encrypting virus is displayed as a lock screen which covers the system's desktop. Cyber extortionists demand 100 USD in order to provide decryption key to the affected users. However, you should never pay the asked ransom and try to save your money and data without paying ransom fee. In this case, you can rescue your vital data with the help of backup copies and system restore disks. Most importantly, before going for the data recovery procedure, you need to remove CA$HOUT Ransomware completely and permanently from your system in order to clean your PC from any infection and then recover your precious data.
Remove CA$HOUT Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove CA$HOUT Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove CA$HOUT Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To CA$HOUT Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find CA$HOUT Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove CA$HOUT Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove CA$HOUT Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the CA$HOUT Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the CA$HOUT Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.