This post assists help System users whose files are locked with .XERO file extension. The appearances of this file extension in your PC is a clear indication that you are another victim of XeroWare Ransomware. Well, need not to be panic because with the help of this expert's guidelines, you can easily get rid of XeroWare Ransomware and decrypt your System files.
Technical Details of XeroWare Ransomware
|Name of Threat||XeroWare Ransomware|
|Based on||Hidden open-source code|
|Discovered in||August 2015|
|Risk Level||Very High|
|Primary Aim||Takes hostage of users files and earn online money from them.|
|Occurrences||Spam emails, torrent downloads, infected devices, file sharing sources, hacked domain, gambling sites etc.|
|To delete XeroWare Ransomware and decrypt .XERO files, System users must download Windows Scanner Tool.|
Crucial Facts That You Must Know About XeroWare Ransomware
XeroWare Ransomware is another ransomware based on the WannaCry Ransomware. This ransomware is built upon original source code of WannaCry and ExternalBlue exploit. According to the security researcher, it is based on HiddenTear open-source code that appeared in the August 2015. It is just a stealthy ransomware and most of the System users would not notice any suspicious activity until it is too late.
Encryption Procedure Performed By XeroWare Ransomware
Similar to traditional ransomware, it also created by the group of cyber criminals for monetization purposes. This ransomware is mainly programmed to lock users all generated content such as photos, videos, musics, texts, databases, PDFs and many more so that user's cannot easily access them. The targeted object of this ransomware can be noticed easily because it appends .XERO file extension to end of targeted files name. After that it displays a ransom note entitled as XeroWare_ReadME.txt and instructs victims for paying ransom fee. But users should not pay ransom fee at any circumstances because no any provide you guarantee that you will get the decryption key even paying ransom fee. Therefore, System users must get rid of XeroWare Ransomware instantly instead of paying ransom fee.
Know How Does XeroWare Ransomware Work
- Infection – First of all, it target the Windows based System and open System backdoor.
- Encryption – After infiltrating inside the PC successfully, it uses strong and powerful file encryption algorithm to lock users all stored files.
- Drops Ransom Note – Upon performing encryption, it throws a ransom note that informs victims about the XeroWare Ransomware attack and instructs victims to deliver ransom demanded fee to decrypt files.
Harmful Properties of XeroWare Ransomware
- Disables System security measures.
- Makes affected PC too much slower and weird than before.
- Opens backdoor and inject several malicious threats.
- Modifies entire System and crucial settings.
- Endangers users privacy etc.
Remove XeroWare Ransomware From Your PC
Step 1: Remove XeroWare Ransomware in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- First of all disconnect your PC with network connection.
- Click restart button and keep pressing F8 key regularly while system restart.
- You will see “Windows Advanced Options Menu” on your computer screen.
- Select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” and press Enter key.
- You must login your computer with Administrator account for full privilege.
- Once the Command Prompt appears then type rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Now follow the prompts on your screen to complete system restore.
Step 2: Remove XeroWare Ransomware using MSConfig in Safe Mode:
- Power off your computer and restart again.
- While booting press the “F8 key” continuously to open “Windows Advanced Options Menu”.
- Use the arrow keys to select “Safe Mode” option and press Enter key.
- Once system get started go to Start menu. Type “msconfig” in the search box and launch the application.
- Go to the Startup tab and look for files from %AppData% or %Temp% folders using rundll32.exe. See an example below:
- Disable all the malicious entries and save the changes.
- Now restart your computer normally.
Step 3 : Kill Malicious Process Related To XeroWare Ransomware
- Press Alt+Ctrl+Del buttons together.
- It will open the Task manager on your screen.
- Go to Process Tab and find XeroWare Ransomware related process.
- Click the End Process Now button to stop the running process.
Step 4 : Remove XeroWare Ransomware Virus From Registry Entry
- Press “Windows + R” key together to open Run Box.
- Type “regedit” and click OK button.
- Find and remove XeroWare Ransomware related entries.
Now hopefully you have completely removed the XeroWare Ransomware virus from your computer. If you are still get ransom message from the threat or unable to access your files, then it means that virus still remain into your computer. In such situation you don’t have any other option except removing this virus using any powerful malware removal tool.
Whereas if you have any backup of your infected or encrypted files, then you can also reinstall your Windows OS. This will erase all your files and data as along with the XeroWare Ransomware infection. You will get a completely empty computer system with no files. Now you can use your backup to get your files. If you don’t have any backup then using malware removal tool is a better option for you.
If you have any query or question regarding your computer, then you can easily ask your problem to our experts. Go to the Ask Any Question page and get the answer for your query directly from out experts.