Threat Analysis For: Golden Ransomware
|Discovered On||August 11, 2018|
|Stage of Exploit||Still in Developmental Phase|
|Detection||Free Download Golden Ransomware Scanner|
Golden Ransomware is a newly discovered malware that has been observed to lock down the targeted system. It was detected by security researchers on August 11, 2018 and has been placed under ransomware category. It is believed to be still in developmental stage and hence its exploits are not like typical ransomware. Golden Ransomware is different from others as it does not encrypt the files available on the system and asks for ransom in exchange for a decryption key. It simply stops users from being able to access their system. To accomplish this it produces a lock screen window, which may be considered to be equivalent to a ransom note only without a ransom detail, the window contains two links and asks users to visit those to be able to find a solution to the Golden Ransomware attack.
Intrusion Method Employed By Golden Ransomware:
Golden Ransomware has been detected to be using software packages such as freeware, game cracks, unblocked application files, keygens of pirated programs, cracking applications to gain an access to the targeted system. It can deploy its files when users have selected auto installation that allows the ransomware to execute its payload without asking user's permission.
Working Detail of Golden Ransomware:
Golden Ransomware has been identified to be using NET language in its source code which enables it to launch User Account Control prompt after installation within the system. Few samples of the ransomware that were observed by security researchers were detected to be using RAN.Golden64.exe and FABGolden.exe.bin file names. Golden Ransomware can even make changes to registry entries that allows it to block the usage of task manager which could have been used to close the processes running in the background. It also disallows the access of control panel on windows 7 and settings center on windows 10. Golden Ransomware uses a black screen to infrom users about the attack with the following message:
'You're a victim of Golden!
What can I do?
-You can unlock computer by visiting one of these two links
Can I remove this malware?
You can only remove it with our services.'
What To Do After Golden Ransomware Attack:
The links which are displayed by the ransomware cannot be trusted as it can be used to attack users with an updated attack or they may even redirect to other malicious source which could be hosted by Golden Ransomware developers. Users may be asked to pay an amount to restore their access but instead this guide can be used to remove the ransomware.
A: How To Remove Golden Ransomware From Your PC
Step: 1 How to Reboot Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Click on Restart button to restart your computer
- Press and hold down the F8 key during the restart process.
- From the boot menu, select Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Step: 2 How to Kill Golden Ransomware Related Process From Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together on your keyboard
- It will Open Task manager on Windows
- Go to Process tab, find the Golden Ransomware related Process.
- Now click on on End Process button to close that task.
Step: 3 Uninstall Golden Ransomware From Windows Control Panel
- Visit the Start menu to open the Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a Program option from Program category.
- Choose and remove all Golden Ransomware related items from list.
B: How to Restore Golden Ransomware Encrypted Files
Method: 1 By Using ShadowExplorer
After removing Golden Ransomware from PC, it is important that users should restore encrypted files. Since, ransomware encrypts almost all the stored files except the shadow copies, one should attempt to restore original files and folders using shadow copies. This is where ShadowExplorer can prove to be handy.
- Once downloaded, install ShadowExplorer in your PC
- Double Click to open it and now select C: drive from left panel
- In the date filed, users are recommended to select time frame of atleast a month ago
- Select and browse to the folder having encrypted data
- Right Click on the encrypted data and files
- Choose Export option and select a specific destination for restoring the original files
Method:2 Restore Windows PC to Default Factory Settings
Following the above mentioned steps will help in removing Golden Ransomware from PC. However, if still infection persists, users are advised to restore their Windows PC to its Default Factory Settings.
System Restore in Windows XP
- Log on to Windows as Administrator.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Find System Tools and click System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.
- Choose a restore point when system was not infected and click Next.
System Restore Windows 7/Vista
- Go to Start menu and find Restore in the Search box.
- Now select the System Restore option from search results
- From the System Restore window, click the Next button.
- Now select a restore points when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 8
- Go to the search box and type Control Panel
- Select Control Panel and open Recovery Option.
- Now Select Open System Restore option
- Find out any recent restore point when your PC was not infected.
- Click Next and follow the instructions.
System Restore Windows 10
- Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel and Find out the Recovery option.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose a restore point before infection Next > Finish.
Method:3 Using Data Recovery Software
Restore your files encrypted by Golden Ransomware with help of Data Recovery Software
We understand how important is data for you. Incase the encrypted data cannot be restored using the above methods, users are advised to restore and recover original data using data recovery software.