I am getting error message from SysMenu.dll which says that “There was a problem starting C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll” when I attempt to open any file. When I clicked on OK button my system gets cashed and I need to reboot the PC to work normally. From last few days, I am noticing several strange activities and the running speed of the system is also decreasing. What is SysMenu.dll? Why it displays error message when I open any file? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
SysMenu.dll is classified as Trojan infection which can secretly invade in the PC without any prior notifications. Once gets installed, it will conduct unwanted changes in the default settings and some of the system programs will not respond properly. SysMenu.dll will create unwanted DLL files by dropping its own codes in the compromised PC. It also carries ability to modify the stored documents by adding harmful payloads in order to corrupt them severely. When you will attempt to access such infected files then you will get error messages that “The specified module could not be found”. This threat is responsible for sluggish speed of various functions of the system such as start up, shut down, opening files, playing games, installing applications, Internet connection and many more.
Presence of SysMenu.dll will not allow the users to work normally on the system. You will also find several unknown processes in the task manager which will boost the CPU utilizations. Whats worse, this threat works for the cyber crooks and helps them in making illegal profits. It is created in such a manner which is capable to record the keystrokes of the users when they type any sensitive password or the details related to bank account. It is also possible that it will connect your PC to the remote servers and allows its creators for unauthorized access of your personal data. Hence, it is advised to the users to remove SysMenu.dll immediately after detection from the compromised system.
Steps to Remove SysMenu.dll
Step 1>> How to Boot Windows in Safe Mode to isolate SysMenu.dll
Step 2>> How to View Hidden Files created by SysMenu.dll
for Windows XP
- Exit all Program and Go to Desktop
- Select My Computer icon and Double Click to Open it
- Click on the Tools Menu and now select and Click on Folder Options.
- Select on View Tab that appears in New Window.
- Check mark on the box next to Dispaly the Contents of System Folders
- Now Check the box in order to Show Hidden Files and Folders
- Now press on Apply and OK to close the Window.
- As soon as these steps are performed, you can view the files and folders that were created by SysMenu.dll and hidden till now.
for Windows Vista
- Minimize all Window and Go to Desktop
- Click on the Start Button which can be found in lower lef Corner having Windows Logo
- Click on the Control Panel on the Menu and Open it
- Control Panel can be opened in Classic View or Control Panel Home View.
- If you have Selected Classic View, follow this
- Double Click on the Folder icon to open it
- Now select the view tab
- Click on Option to Show Hidden Files or Folders
- If you have Selected Control Panel Home View, follow this
- Appearance and Personalization link is to be Clicked
- Select on Show Hidden Files or Folders
- Press Apply Option and then Click on OK.
This will Show all the Folders including those created by SysMenu.dll
Know how to view Hidden Folders on Windows 7, Win 8 and Windows 10
(Following the above steps are necessary to view all the files created by SysMenu.dll and that is known to exist on Compromised PC.)
- Open the Run Box by holding together the Start Key and R.
- Now Type and input appwiz.cpl and press on OK
- This will take you to the Control Panel, Now Search for Suspicious programs or any entries related to SysMenu.dll. Unistall it once if you happen to find it. However be sure not to Uninstall any other program from the list.
- In the Search Field, Type msconfig and press on Enter, this will pop-up a Window
In the Startup Menu, Uncheck all the SysMenu.dll related entries or which are Unknown as Manufacturer.
Step 3>> Open the Run Box by Pressing Start Key and R in Combination
- Copy + Paste the following Command as
- notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts and press on OK
- This will Open a new file. If your system has been hacked by SysMenu.dll, certain IP’s will be displayed which can be found in the bottom of the screen.
Look for the suspicious IP that is present in your Localhost
Step 4>> How to Terminate SysMenu.dll Running Processes
- Go the Processes Tab by pressing on CTRL+SHIFT+ESC Keys Together.
- Look for the SysMenu.dll Running Processes.
- Right Click on SysMenu.dll and End the Process.
Step 5>> How to Remove SysMenu.dll Related Registry Entries
- Open Registry by Typing Regedit in the Run box and Hit Enter Key
- This will open all the list of entries.
- Now Find and search the entries created by SysMenu.dll and cautiously delete it.
- Alternatively, you can manually search for it in the list to delete SysMenu.dll Manually.
Unfortunately, if you are unable to remove SysMenu.dll, Scan your PC Now
Also submit question and let us know in case you are having some doubt. Our Experts will definitely respond with some positive suggestions for the same. Thanks!